THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Looking for a private land elk hunt in new mexico.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a private land elk hunt in new mexico.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a 2 x 1 private land elk rifle hunt for my father and I. I would like to keep it to 8,000 a person. We are looking for a 270 to 300 and up bulls. Physical fittness is not an issue. I have been doing a lot of research and reading some horror guilding stories and wish to avoid that. Anyone have any tips or personal experiences?

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I work with 2 outfitters, I'll ask them if they have room next year and what the cost is.

Might be a couple of weeks, I don't see them all the time.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are looking for 2020

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
What state(s) do you want this hunt in?
I also think you should up your expectation for 8,000.00 per person to at least a 300 or better bull.

quote:
Originally posted by steel:
I am looking for a 2 x 1 private land elk rifle hunt for my father and I. I would like to keep it to 8,000 a person. We are looking for a 270 to 300 and up bulls. Physical fittness is not an issue. I have been doing a lot of research and reading some horror guilding stories and wish to avoid that. Anyone have any tips or personal experiences?

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
Tanzania 2024
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RAR60:
What state(s) do you want this hunt in?
I also think you should up your expectation for 8,000.00 per person to at least a 300 or better bull.

It's in the title.

Posts: 356 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steel:

This has been on my mind all day
trying to come up with the name.

Check out: Milligan's Brand. I get
a small catalog several times a year
full of huge elk racks. Out of my
financial reach so I just enjoy the
pictures. Sounds like a good outfit
and produces what a hunter wants to
shoot.
I also live out here so it's not
such a big deal to me.

Good luck and let's see the results once
you've done it.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Steel:

This has been on my mind all day
trying to come up with the name.

Check out: Milligan's Brand. I get
a small catalog several times a year
full of huge elk racks. Out of my
financial reach so I just enjoy the
pictures. Sounds like a good outfit
and produces what a hunter wants to
shoot.
I also live out here so it's not
such a big deal to me.

Good luck and let's see the results once
you've done it.

George

Link to Milligan Brand.
https://www.milliganbrand.com/rates-dates

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Thanks,

George

You're welcome.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You would be surprised at the amount a good elk hunt cost on private land.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris Guikema at Compass West. I've hunted with them and they run a solid outfit. Most LO tag private land hunts for them are in 34 and 36.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I have hunted NM the last five years for Elk either by drawing tag or landowner tag. I would be cautious about thinking private land is the key although private it has some advantages no doubt but there is a flip side. If the ranch you are hunting is including the tag and it's Ranch Only as opposed to Unit Wide you could have a problem. If a bull runs off that ranch you cannot legally hunt it.
I have two guys I know and one in 2018 ran into the Ranch only issue he paid up for the hunt - No Elk. I have another guy I know this year had the same issue with himself,son and son-in-law- No Elk.
You also ask someone where they want to hunt in NM and they say the "Gila" there are big bulls but it's covered up with outfitters.
You also need to decide what kind of Elk hunt?
You said being fit is not an issue so do want a traditional hunt? By that I mean pack in on horses stay in wall tent, etc or do you want to ride around in a truck or SxS and stay in lodge?
To book a hunt and satisfy yourself that whether you succeed or fail you did the best you could on your choice takes a lot of digging.
I have used Epic Outdoors and the owner is the son of the founder of Huntin Fool.
I would have a conversation with them and see what you think.
https://epicoutdoors.com/

They are all going to tell you what you want to hear and put their best face on so Buyer Beware.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
Tanzania 2024
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have looked into compass west. They seem a little higher at 12,500 for early hunt 8,500 late season. I would be curious to hear how your hunt went.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would certainly consider a traditional hunt but I'm only going to be in new mexico for a year or two for a job and I really wanted a definite 2 tags for my dad and I for a once in a lifetime hunt. He has always wanted to hunt elk but never had the time or money and want to give him a great experience. I have heard drawing a good public tag can take time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree 100% on elk hunt pricing... and a lot of western big game in general: The prices have become insanely high for what you're getting.

I have hunted with John Chapel from New Mexico Professional Big Game Hunting, Inc. I hunted with him for mule deer. They are a really professional outfit, they took my hunt plans seriously and John busted his butt to get me an opportunity at a big buck. I think their prices are fair for the recommendations on where to apply & the effort they put out in the field.

Give him or his dad, Mick, a call & discuss what you want to do. A lot of what they do involves applying in the 'outfitter draw' for tags, but I know they can get landowner tags as well.

nmtrophyhunts.com

Posts: 449 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My neighbors are going with Streater Outdoors this Sunday. I have not personally hunted with them. PM me in 2 weeks and I'll have a report of their trip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see the late season hunts are cheaper. Would it even be worth hunting late season? I would be worried the animals will be super pressured at that point?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of private land elk hunts in New Mexico that don't result in an Elk.

Put in for 52, 2C, 2B, 21A, 6B, 34, 15, one of the 16's or 17 and hire an outfitter. Odds are 27% draw in Unit 52, and 37% kill.

Mess with the odds and harvest numbers. All these units are at least 77% public land.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
steel,

If you're hunting private land that has a good management plan the elk won't get "stressed". Success should be the same as early season but you're just not going to be hunting bugling bulls. The area around Pie Town where my operator hunts is gentle terrain and fairly open. Late season spot and stalk is not an issue particularly when you have 500,000 acres to hunt.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see the late season hunts are cheaper. Would it even be worth hunting late season? I would be worried the animals will be super pressured at that point?

Late hunts can be very good. In my opinion they are tougher than a regular season hunt. However, they can still be good. In addition, a lot of the bulls can have their antlers broken up by the time the late season comes around.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
If you were talking to me? In NM in the unit I have hunted for five yrs I have killed 3 bulls all in the the last three yrs DIY. Also, the last three yrs I've killed 5 bulls total. 3 NM and 1 WY and 1 UT. WY and UT were guided both out of wall tents and horses. The NM hunt tent and SxS and pack out on back. I've been Elk hunting in CO,WY and now NM for 20 plus yrs. I love to hunt Elk and eat the meat.

quote:
I have looked into compass west. They seem a little higher at 12,500 for early hunt 8,500 late season. I would be curious to hear how your hunt went.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
Tanzania 2024
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add they were all public land hunts.
Never hunted Elk on private land.

quote:

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
Tanzania 2024
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OnX tells me that there is about 80,000 acres of mixed state and private south of Pie Town.

Any outfitter that told you he has 500,000 acres of land near Pie Town is not being truthful. Or he is counting the National Forest and State lands as his own.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 50 miles South of Pie town there is another 50,000 acres that is almost one solid chunk.

There isn't room between the state, BLM and Forest Service for anyone to have 500,000 acres in Catron county.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any Elk hunt is dependent on weather especially late hunts. Some ranches will load up with elk if there is a lot of snow and some will be void of elk in bad weather. Feast or famine.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
About 50 miles South of Pie town there is another 50,000 acres that is almost one solid chunk.

There isn't room between the state, BLM and Forest Service for anyone to have 500,000 acres in Catron county.

I know who Mark is referring to and he has what Mark says he has. He has a huge operation and his area isn’t limited to Catron County

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can get you what your looking for and probably a much bigger bull on a private ranch in Idaho, Ranch has cabins and you can hunt out of head quarters or do a pack in hunt, both work well..the ranch is about 50,000 acres as I recall..The ranch is private and successful. Im retired as a booking agent but will set you up a once in a lifetime hunt with the owners, but you have to book early, Its the best trophy elk hunt in the USA,of that I have no doubt and prices are reasonable...the always kill a near 400 elk for their hunters and that heard produced a couple of 400 bulls this year on nearby ranches..No commission for myself, just a favor for the owner..

I have a 80,00

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm willing to hear all options