Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado Elk Permit
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
I have applied for either sex elk license for GMU 4 1st rifle season. What are the chances with no preference points?

My work schedule is tight and I will be off the entire week prior to the hunt this year. I've never applied before, but my guess is that I won't be drawn...everything else is going to perfectly.

Anyway, I saw a sight once that listed stats on the draw, but I can't remember the odds.

Thanks in advance.

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://wildlife.state.co.us/huntrecap/
Think you will find what you want in here. It takes a bit of sorting out.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lucky for you that I just received the issue of COLORADO OUTDOORS with the preference point pages. According to that, GMU 4 and the associated areas will have a total of 1075 either sex tags available. Last year there were 1944 people that applied for the tag. Your odds of drawing with no preference points is pretty good. With 1 or 2 points it's a given. What was your second choice? The same season cow tag had 50 available licenses and only 5 people applied last year. You can probably pick up a cow tag as a leftover license in Aug if you want.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
My second choice was GMU 24 and related...I didn't list a third.

I have a son who is 9 years old. I'm thinking about simply applying for preference points for him the next few years in hopes that he will have enough points to draw when he is old enough to go. Sound like a plan?

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Born to Hunt:
My second choice was GMU 24 and related...I didn't list a third.

I have a son who is 9 years old. I'm thinking about simply applying for preference points for him the next few years in hopes that he will have enough points to draw when he is old enough to go. Sound like a plan?

He can apply if 11yrs old as long as his 12th birthday is before hunting season. Tough deal for the kids.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You won't get the tag for area 24 and associated area as a second choice. Last year there were 4500 licenses available and 5363 people applied for it as their first choice. You have a good chance of getting the tag for Area 4 as I posted above, but your second choice is a bust. However, for a cow tag for Area 24 and associated areas, there were 3000 tags available and only 1911 people applied. So, you should be able to get a tag as a leftover.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote