Find
Notify
Tools

model 70 classic stainless ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
How do these rifles shoot , i handled one in the gun shop today in 300 rem ultra mag, and i couldn't beleive how light this rifle was , hows the recoil on these rifles and more inportant hows the accuracy

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
<rws2>
posted
I have one in 270 Win. and it seems to me to have more recoil than my 7mm Rem.Mag in a Browning A-Bolt II.But it sure is a shooter! rws2

posted Hide Post
I also have one in .270, and it shoots just fine (I didn't notice exceptional recoil in mine).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
My stainless m 70 in 30 06 shoots really well. It has also accounted for lots of African game. The best groups have been with 180 grs Light Magnums and my handloads consisting of 4350 and 180 grs Stewart Solid.

[ 06-18-2002, 09:50: Message edited by: alekojjensen ]

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanoose, watch out for the shoddy machine work that Winchester putting out. At my local gunshop, I would say that about 30% of the classic 70 SS had shoddy machine work including missing letters of the engraving of Win hest r.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought the Model 70 Stainless Classic the only year it was offered in a left handed model. (about 4 years ago) Mine came with a walnut stock and is in caliber 338win.mag.
I've found the fit and finish is pretty good and after a trigger job and some tweeking it's shoot about 1.5" or better groups at 100yds.
I'm looking for a good McMillan stock that may lighten up the rifle some, but I have no complaints about fit and finish on mine.

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I have one in 375 Ackley Improved (rechambered from the 375 H&H)and I love it. It's been with me on 3 Safaris, and shot Remington Safari Ammo in the 300 grain Swift A-Frame into 3/4 inch groups. With my reloads for the Ackley, it shoots 250 and 300 grain Swifts into 1/2 inch, and both bullets impact within 1 inch of each other.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 300WSM and the recoil doesn't seem to be any worse than a 30-06.
I had a 7mmSTW and the recoil seemed to be about the same as the 300WSM.
I've shot several 300RUM's and was surprised that the recoil was a lot less than I had expected, although they weren't in the Model 70 Classic Stainless.
The Stainless Classic is a great rifle and usually shoot well. Some do require minor tuning though.

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Tanoose. I have two of the classic stainless Model 70s - a .270 and .30-06, both in left handed. (They only made them for a year or so in left handed, so I had to grab em while i could). The .270 is MOA, the .30-06 shoots about 1.5 MOA. I plan to have the .30-06 rebarreled to a 338 some day, and fitted with a sythetic stock. Both are well made (as is my Model 70 375HH), so I don't see the rukus that some people are having with their Model 70s. Light they aren't though - the .30-06 is 9 lbs 3 oz all loaded w/o sling (B&L Elite 4000 2.5-10X42, with David Gentry Ultra Light Rings). The .270 is 9 lbs all loaded with 6x Leupold with Conetrol Rings. I like my Model 70s. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote