Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Columbia, Missouri
 Login/Join

posted
If any one is from around Columbia, I would like some information about there. I am moving there April 3rd 2013. I can no longer tolerate living in IOWA. Any help on organic farms, grass fed beef or poultry, hunting spots or fishing would be great.

Posts: 8 | Location: missouri | Registered: 05 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would PM Tyler Kemp who posts here. I know he lives there. Great college town.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I live south east from there and pass through Columbia 2X a year

2 hours west is KC 2 hours east is STL

Lake of the Ozarks is close as are many other bodies of water

Missouri has tons of public hunting and 100% OTC deer hunting

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the land north of HWy 70 is private and much of it is under hunting lease. There is a lot of public land in the middle and southern part of the state and less leasing of private land. There is more public access fishing than you can get done. Maps for state and federal lands are readily available. I don't have the contact numbers but there is a fairly strong organic etc farming group in the central region of the state. I would start with farmer markets and health food store contacts. We do organic but just for our own family. I would also look at some of the smaller towns and rural areas around Columbia. Housing and property taxes in Columbia/Boone County are more expensive. Columbia is a smallish town dominated by a big university. You may like that or not. Columbia does have a Bass Pro Shop, Midway USA and CMMG if that means anything to you as well as good public and private shooting ranges. Welcome to Missouri.

Posts: 817 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, you are also an easy 20-25 minutes from Grafs, or an hour from Sierra bullets and their outlet store.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Good country and good people. I'm an hour s.w. of Columbia. If your a friendly sort I'm sure you'll find like minded landowners that will let you hunt. Most "good" hunting is under a lease. However with all the crop ground around there isn't much that's bad.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote