New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which round for elk?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is a 30-06 VS 8MM question. At the velocities I am able to achieve in my rifles my 8MM (150 grain Hornady RN) shoots flatter and has more downrange energy than my 30-06 (165 gr Nosler Partition) so is the 150 Hornady a stout enough bullet for elk?

Posts: 29 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To be honest I think the 06 is the best bet between the two. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
You didn't give any velocity figures, but if the '06 is "standard" in velocity, then I would definitely have to say the 150 grain 8mm may be a tad soft for the application. To be honest, I didn't even realize Hornady offered a 150 grain RN in .323 diameter.

One thing is for certain, though: the 165 grain Partition makes an excellent elk bullet in the 30-06.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you will be fine with whatever you decide to hunt with. If you are more comfortable using the 8mm then use it. I would personally choose heavier bullets than you are using, but that is just me.

I find your statement on the round nose bullet shooting flatter and having more energy confusing as I've found that usually opposite when comparing to spitzer bullets. What range are you basing your claim on? I can understand the lighter 8mm bullet having a higher MV than the .308 caliber bullet. I just don't think it will maintain the trajectory and energy as well as the .30-06 will as the RN bullet will bleed off speed much faster.

Have you tested these cartridges beyond 100 yards?

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
When I first started elk hunting in the early 70's, I killed several bulls with 150 gr .30-06 bullets. They will work OK, if shot are kept at reasonable distances, like under 250 or so yds. I later changed to 180 gr Nosler Partitions and found them to work much better.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I'd bring my -06

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both will do just fine but why shoot a 150g bullet in a 32 caliber? I know you stated down range energy as being a factor but....

I would seriously consider going to a 200g 8mm bullet or a 180g 30 caliber bullet. IMO you should always try to use the heaviest bullet possible based on certain conditions (game hunted, longest shot possible, etc).

In the end, shoot what you like and be happy. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never killed an elk with an 8mm but I have with a '06 using a 200gr. I'd suggest a 200gr in either one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 8MM gets about 2900 fps and the 30-06 load gets about 2600 fps. The 30-06 has a shorter barrel than the 8MM. These are as fast as I can push these particular loads in those particular rifles w/o overpressure signs. I use the 150 gr in the 8MM as I have found that particular bullet the most accurate. I recently moved to the West from Wisconsin where I had used both of these on whitetails; I want to try elk this fall hence my question on these loads. The long range (to 300 yds) trajectory and energy figures are from my reloading manual. The velocities are accurate from chronograph read outs; rounded off for clarity, but close enough for comparison. My 30-06 wears a scope and my 8MM does not so I plan on the 30-06 as the primary weapon and the 8MM as a backup rifle. All advice from experienced elk hunters is welcomed. Thanks!

Posts: 29 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heavy Metal 1,

Both the 8x57 and 30-06 would work just fine for elk but I would also recommend heavier bullets in each.
In the 8x57, a 200gr nos/par and a stiff load of 4350 should get you close to 2600fps.
In the 30-06, a 180gr or 200gr nos/par and a stiff load of 4350 should get you close to 2800fps and 2700fps respectively.
Any good bullet would work of course but nos/par are one of my favorites for deep penetration on large, tough game like elk.
BTW, these are two of my favorite cartridges. Good luck elk hunting.

Steve

Posts: 182 | Location: On the Yentna River, Ak. | Registered: 23 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Another factor is where are you going elk hunting at?

You may be able to substitute a lighter bullet for a (better) heavier one if shots will be up close.

I usually hunt Northwestern Colorado every year and it would be difficult to find a shot longer then 200 yards, most being around or under 100. That was in that unit though.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
I would use either one, with 180 gr bullets. Enough weight and enough speed for alot of energy. Me personally for non magnum's(which is all I use) I sight in 2.5-3 inches high so there is only a small amount of hold over. On my 35 whelen I can hold dead on at 100 and 200 yds. At 300 yds I can use the top of my bottom post for a dead on hold(2.5-8X36 Leupold plex rec.). I'm not sure on the 30/06, but with the 8X57 it was easy to get 2700 fps with 180 TSX's.
I'll bet you can get that in the 06 too. If you decide to use a 150 gr I would use a tough bullet for sure. Elk are big animals, in my opinion it is best to anchor them fast especially in rough country. Good luck either way ya go. Cool

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my experience has been with lighter bullets.
the 1st 7 elk w/ a 243,the next 25 or so w/ a 270 and 130grn bullets,these last dozen+ w/ a 7stw and 150grn bullets.
IMO either rifle is plenty of gun and either bullet is plenty of bullet.
i would scope the 8mm and be practiced up before the season.good luck

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
Bullet placement is the key. My wife used her 270WSM with 140gr Accubonds to take her cow elk (2 shots-one double lung pass thru and the other took out the liver and ribs and found in the hide) and my hunting buddy used my 270WSM with reloads of 140gr Accubonds for his (1 shot-dropped found bullet) Bullets weighed 106 gr and 94gr respectfully (73 and 66% retained).

I always used my 300WM with 180 Accubonds now but the 270WSM with 140gr AB's sure impressed me again this season.

For your 30-06 I'll suggest 165 gr - 180gr AB's and for your 8mm 200-250.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm not an expert by any definition but I have killed 7 elk in the last 10 years. Used an 06 on all but 1 of them. I use the 180 gr barnes x and stx bullet at 2700 fps and it is devistating.All one shot kills and none went over 20 yards.Last year I used my old 270 with 150 Nosler partitions and although it killed the critter it did go over 40 yards and didn't do near the damage the Barnes bullets do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
These questions almost always say "elk" as if they only come in one size.

If it's a cow hunt, go with the light 150s or 165s. If it's a 900lb trophy bull you're after then a .30-06 with 180 to 200 grain pill will be a better choice.

Frankly, today any premium bullet in those weights will do the job well.

Arguably the best choices in premium bullets today are Barnes MRX, Barnes TSX, GS Custom, Hornady Interbond, Northfork, Nosler Partition, Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Swift A-Frame and Winchester Silvertips.

My .300 Win Mag shoots factory Federal 180gr Nosler Partitions sub-MOA all day long. When I got it and shot it I bought enough of the same lots (190 Match Kings, 180 NP and 200 NP) to last my lifetime. I never even think about reloading.

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dont look solely at energy/velocity here. a 150gr 8mm bullet probably just doesnt have the SD needed for elk. these are tough critters to be sure, and you may not always get that perfect broadside shot. the '06 has accounted for probably millions of dead elk. if you wanted to go light with .308 bullets, choose a good one. a lot of people think my choice of 165gr bullets in my 300wsm is a bight light, but i'm using fail safes, a very stout and reliable bullet IMO

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
I'd say 30/06 with Nosler Partions or Northforks in 180gr and aim for the off side shoulder. Maybe even an Accubond.

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Well said WPN thumb...

Here in AZ were we hunt, it's not unusual to find cows in the range of 500 to 700 lbs (occaisionally larger but not often).. Bulls tend to get VERY large here... My hunting partner uses his 300WM with 180 grn Barnes TSX.. In the past my rig was an '06 with 180 grn partions or Barnes TSX... This last year it was a 338-378 Weatherby with 225 grn Barnes X bullets (didn't even see an elk so I have no idea how it might perform Frowner)...

Use either one but take your quarry's size into account and select an appropriate bullet for the job... Elk aren't bullet proof but a good premium bullet certainly wouldn't hurt...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yea yea, rub it in that you get resident tags in AZ Roll Eyes ha!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The question begs to be asked, Why "go light"? Is it an elk hunt or a dog and pony show. Use the heaviest bullet that will deliver decent engery download. Velocity does not trump weight of metal. And, of course, a well constructed bullet gives that extra bit of edge and confidence to get the job done well.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
my choice is a 338wm with 250grain nosler partition, however, I would use a 30-06 with 180 grain partition or 180 grain barnes x if that was all I had available with no worries.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well for the most part, i'm a meat hunter, and I draw cow tags. now the cows can still be tough to put down, but my 2 fell to the 165 fail safe just fine. i chose to go a bit light because most important, they shot very well in that gun, and second, I was looking more for speed for a flatter trajectory. the large majority of the elk taken out of our camps are in the 3-400 yard range, dictated by terrain.

One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
My preference has always been the 06, with 165 grn. bullets. Winchester Silvertips work great.

That is just me. Next year I am going to use my .450 Marlin MXLR. It is not the tool, it's the skill of the man using the tool.

Good luck

Jim

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"its not the tool, its the skill of the man using the tool". ROFLMAO. That saw is usually played by some wannabe. It, of course, is why they use .223s to cull Cape buffaloes and when you set up your next grizzly hunt with Shoemaker, tell him you're gonna use a .243 "cause it ain't the tool, it's the skill of the man using the tool" and see what he sez. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
Gee, I don't remember suggesting any of the methods or calibers in your post. But you are right of course, I'm just a wannabe! I wannabe just like you!

moon

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either one, but personally I'd want 180gr in the 06 and 200 gr in the 8mm, Nosler partitions if I had them..02

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've killed bull Elk with 130gr .270 Partitions but really would want more bullet. A 180 or 200 Partition in a 30-06 would be better. I don't see why the equivalent in an 8mm wouldn't work as well.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
Get rid of both...and Get a 35 Whelen!

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which round is best. . .Hmm,8mm or 06. Hmm, let me think. I like my .375 H&H, or my heavy loaded .45-70. Both have worked very well. But a long time friend of mine has killed maybe 15 big Roosevelts with his well worn .243. and a couple with his .25-06. Hmm, not sure. . . . I guess if you hit hem right behind the shoulder blade, and into the lungs, either one as long as you can shoot it.

coffee

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've gotta ask, why so slow with the 165's?

HOW short is that '06 barrel?

MY 20" barreled semiauto remington manages 2750
with 165's on what I consider to be a "Reduced" charge of IMR4060.

Are you imposing some sort of artificial and unachievable accuracy standard that knocks faster loads out of your consideration?
In the words of Jack O'Connor:
"If you can't make some 165gr bullet shoot under an inch
in front of 48grains of IMR4064 in a 30-06 don't talk to a gunsmitch, consult an exorcist."
(or close words to that effect)

I'm thinking that unless you are dealing with an auto
or a REALLY short "Carbine barrel" (like one of those remington Timber carbines) you should be pushing
a 165 to 2900-ish.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a nube elk hunter.

For me, choosing the corect cal, cartridge, and projectile was the EASY part. It's hunting them that is tough.

Planning my third elk hunt and still no steaks for the grill. That being said, I know that when I meat the BIG WAPITI, I won't be second guessing my means of bringing him to the table.

Posts: 173 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That being said, when a rifle is in my hands on the mountain, it's a .338 WM loaded with H4350 and a 225gr protected point Woodleigh sailing along at 2825+-. It has yet to be inroduced to an elk, but has given an unbelievable introduction to a respectable muley at 280+ yards...

This year I will be opting for a 125 gr Magnus two blade with bleaders. Again, choosing the weapon was easy. It is getting within striking distance that seems tough.

Posts: 173 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Nimrod...you've left us hanging on the Canadian forum for months! How about a hunt report? Smiler

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used both calibers and either will do the job with proper bullet placement but your bullet selection is poor for elk..I would prefer something on the order of the 196 gr. in the 8mm and the 200 gr. in the 06 with the 180 a close second..I would opt for Nosler partitions in both.

Based on my own experience I much prefer the 30-06 over the 8mm....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Atkinson, except for the partitions. I have had nothing but failures with the Noslers. The Hornady 180 RNs have been the most consistant in my experience. I will bet Mr. Atkinson has a LOT more experience with Elk then myself, as his reputation preceeds him, so I very much respect his opinions. However I have had 4 failures with the partitions, so will never use one again, not even for Deer. I have never had a failure with the hornady in the '06.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Heavy Metal 1

Take everything everyone with a grain or two of salt. I sat and witnessed a 5x5 bull elk killed with one shot at slightly over 500 yards, with a 150 gr. bullet out of a 270.

I was with the guide when the animal was field dressed and the bullet had broke both shoulder and tore up the lungs.

The bull went about 20 yards after being hit before dropping.

I don't like 270's, 30-06's or 8mm's.

With proper bullet placement a 150 or 165 grain bullet out of the '06 is going top put down any elk in North America you will get a shot at. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:

I don't like 270's, 30-06's or 8mm's.

what do you like?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heavy Metal 1:
This is a 30-06 VS 8MM question. At the velocities I am able to achieve in my rifles my 8MM (150 grain Hornady RN) shoots flatter and has more downrange energy than my 30-06 (165 gr Nosler Partition) so is the 150 Hornady a stout enough bullet for elk?

I'd stick a 200gr. Nosler accu-bond on top of a primed and charged case. Then, I'd fugitaboutit and go elk hunting. Elk aren't amored. I've taken them with a recurve bow, a .41Magnum handgun, and watched the old man(86) take one with a .243Winchester with NPs when that's all he had in the truck. I like to go heavy on the bullet when animals are large.

JOE MACK aka The .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

I am the punishment of God…
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you. (GENGHIS KHAN)

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used 225gr 338 WinMags and 175gr 7mmRemMags
but would consider the 160gr Partitions as a minimum...
maybe the Accubonds also...

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote