THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Anyone hunted with any of these outfitters?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone hunted with any of these outfitters?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My buddy and I went to the Dallas Safari Club convention specifically to find a British Columbia outfitter for a fall 2007 moose hunt. Our criteria was for a small, family-run business in the Northern part (Unit 7) of the province.

After talking to seven or eight different companies, we have narrowed it down to three possibilities. Actually, I believe that we would have a good hunt with any of the outfitters on our "short list", but I would never book with anyone unless I asked about them on this forum first. They are as follows:

Chris and Thor Shippmann, with Laird River Adventures. Their Operation borders on the Yukon and we think they would give us the best opportunity for a giant Canadian moose. Thor is Chris' wife and is cuter than a speckeled pup -- and built a hell of a lot better! If she were actually going to be our guide, there would be no contest about who we choose. This is my buddy's first choice, because he believes the further north you go, the bigger the moose you will get. They're still Canadian moose, though.

Mike and Dixie Hammett, with Sikanni River Outfitters. Dixie is a Texas gal gone north (waaaay north!). Mike's operation is a little south of Chris and Thor, but still in the "ten point/three brow tine "trophy" area. We talked to about three of Mike's past customers and they all highly reccommended the hunt. This is my first choice for the simple reason of having met satisfied customers.

Dennis and Debbie Beattie, with Wicked River Outfitters. These were the two of the nicest people we met. Their only drawback is their's is an "any moose" area and my buddy fears that locals will have the big ones thinned out. Still, last year, the smallest moose they took was 49 inches, with the average being 54 inches. This is very, very good for the Canadian species of Moose.

There they are. Any of you ever hunted with, or know anything about any of these outfitters. I look forward to your words of wisdom.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
Although I'm from Alberta, I have worked quite often in northern BC rebuilding the Alaska HWY over the years. Peronally seen many large bulls from north of Ft.St. John right to the border of the Yukon. The last place of work was about 45min. south of the bordr, along the Liard River. Seen alot of nice racks coming out from the mountains west of the Liard. I know there are a few outfitters that go in.

As to Canadian moose, there are 3 species. In western Canada , especially BC/Yukon, and northen Alberta, we have the Alaskan/Yukon species, and in some places a cross between the Alaskan/Yukon moose and the Canadian where I live and hunt. Largest bull I've seen was over 60+". The biggest taken in our group is 58".

I personally think that where ever you go in northern BC, you'll see large moose over 50"+ and have good opportunity. As to the locals with access in the "any moose areas", my belief is that most locals are after meat first with antler size just being a bonus for a large moose. Most people enjoy the smaller sized antlered moose b/c they are younger, and more tender! (Now I'm getting hunger...lol)
Good luck in your quest for a memorable and successful hunt!

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who hunted with Sikanni River Outfitters some years ago. He loved the trip and tried to get me booked with them, but I never got it done. I don't think you would make a mistake booking with them.

I have hunted moose in northern BC with Keith Connors and Shane Black (BC Safaris). This was a top drawer hunt. The moose I took looked more like the Alaska/Yukon variety.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote