New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 for whitetail.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed several whitetail deer with a Ruger No1 in 243. My wife used this same rifle to kill several whitetail, antelope and a Rem Mod 7, 243 to kill several whitetails and a couple of very big bodied Colorado mule deer. We always used either a 100 gr Sierra or a 95 gr Nosler Partition.

Never had any problems.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a .243 guy here but I've had success with an old Remington in 6mm. Handloaded with 100gr. NP's it would strike 'em dead everytime. I think the owner has since moved to the TSX and BT bullet styles but the 6mm still brings home the venison.

I know another who swears by an old stash of Core-Lokt .243 ammo for his old Remington, and it also gets the game.

My preference would start at .257 and go up, but everyone has different experiences which lead to different opinions, so the real answer is ignore all of us and do what you think is right! Smiler

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that we all have different experiences. I for one after seeing the damage done by bullets that work well in the 6MM's can't fathom why anyone would say they are not enough gun. On the other hand I haven't made a truly bad shot on a deer with any rifle in 30 years so that may jade my thinking.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote