Notify
Tools

Re: Help on bear
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Whelen Nut
posted
Ken

There is a good discussion on this topic over on the 24hr Campfire board. Link below:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=332023&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

Hope this helps.

WN

Posts: 249 | Location: Northeast WI | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good info.Thanks.

Posts: 48 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn! I didn't even know there were bears in Arkansas!

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is also a video called "The Bear Facts with Bow & Arrow". They show have a segment with Jerry Peterson where he explains the various sounds and then they show him calling bear. You can find it at http://www.outdoor-learning.com/ Not the very best video production, but watchable and certainly gave me a different view on bear hunting.

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kenneth,

As a result of your post I just had my elec caller picked up by ups on its way to Alaska. I will give it a whirl up there and give a report when I return on the 17th of September. I leave on the 30th to moose hunt for a week or so and then we are after black bear.

Wish me luck

btw- Where are you hunting in South AR, I am down in the Texarkana area.

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dwhunter- Since you are from T-Town I know that you have traveled 71 and have been thru Hatfield. I will be east of there. I know nothing of bear hunting but want to get out.
I have skinned 2 for some city slickers on fly in fishing trips and would now like to have my own rug. I would like to hear about your trip. I have been sending money to Maine every year hoping to draw a moose tag.

Posts: 48 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do have an idea where you will be hunting, good luck. I will let you know about my experiences with the caller in Alaska.

Good luck with the draw

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth I'd do a quick check and see if it is legal to use an electronic caller in Alaska. Down here in Montana it is not, for what that is worth (for big game that is).

I posted some thoughts over on 24 hour campfire, take a look if you're interested.

One last unsolicited thought would be to take your hand calls instead. For one they are a lot more portable, and secondly from this calling primadona's perspective the idea of calling game has to do with what I do, not what a machine does.

Just my 12 cents

have a super day and a great hunt and time out there.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dogz,

Checked with AK F&G yesterday and all is good. Actually a fish and game guy will be with us bear hunting. I have thrown in a few mouth calls and will of course try them as well as the electronic call. I read over the campfire posting yesterday about calling and it was very educational, if we call a bear we do, if not oh well, a wolf would be a good alternative. I am not sure as to how the hunting will be with the fires going on in the interior, I spoke with a buddy 2 days ago and he said it was hard to see 100 yards through the smoke.

Dogz,

Just looked at campfire again, guess I missed your post yesterday, great information you posted. I am really looking forward to trying this out. I know of quite a few good berrie areas north of Fairbanks where we can give it a go.

Doug

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug- I hope you have an awesome hunt, it is cold and wet here today and it snowed the other day. It kind of gets me a cranking to think about fall bruin season being around the corner.

For what it is worth I've called in a few of Canis Lupis around here also. Just wish to heck I could light the torch on one of them.

Let me know how it goes and it you have anymore questions about bear calling just let me know and I will try my best to help you out.

"GTTH"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I certainly am no authority on this, but a couple years ago I messed with a predator call with Black bear in Alaska fair amount and had zero results. Several times we were staring at a bear in the scope and called. The most response we ever got was about a 5 second look in our direction, then back to business. These bears just basically ignored the calls. None ever even started our way. I know folks have luck doing down in the lower states, but my experience showed zero interest by Alaskan bears.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dogz,

Thanks for all the good info.

Arts,

That has happened with me in regards to Coyotes, some commit and some don't I have found. I am just going to try this for the "why not" sake of it. Might work might not.

Doug