New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho Unit 1 Mule Deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm thinking of going to Idaho for Mule Deer in Unit 1. I see the harvest stats run about 90% Whitetail. Does anyone have any experience there?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Stu

Posts: 1057 | Location: Washngton State | Registered: 14 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a number of friends that hunt there, the main problem is getting past private land to hunt the gov. land I am told..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray, I wonder if were talking about the same area. I was talking about GMU 1 up towards the Canadien border. It looks like lots of State & National Forest land. I'm thinking of going around Priest Lake. I would rather hunt muley's but, it looks like whitetails are the vast majority of the kill.

Thanks---Stu

Posts: 1057 | Location: Washngton State | Registered: 14 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buff,

You are right and Ray has been mislead by "a number of friends". Gated road country. Bring a mountain bike and trailer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Olds. Will I find Muleys if I go high?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buff,

I work with a guide in that area and have hunted whitetail and cougar there. It is big rough country but has a pretty good road system in the forest. Whitetails are betterthan mule deer there with some real boomers coming from there each year. If you can do the all day stand thing you have an excellent chance for a really big deer and you can shoot two.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buff,

There are mulies up high and lower as well. Many more whitetails. You need to carefully review the regs and costs before taking Young's 2 deer statement. I know I as a res I can buy a another non res tag if there are any available after Sept 1st. I am sure you can also, But its alot of money for just a deer. And if the hunting was so great in Idaho they would be sold out anyway. You will likely find a whitetail you can't refuse before you find a shootable Mulie depending on your how low your mulie standards are. Good luck it is the nicest looking area in Idaho in my opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great info men.
Stu

one of us
posted Hide Post
SG Olds,
The problem is the big bucks come down into the fields on private land and much of that Federal land is landlocked by private land..Sure you can hunt US Forest land and BLM in land up there and there are many roads, but the best deer hunting is behind those farms..

I think "my number of friends" are pretty well informed as to where the hunting is best as they have been going up there for 25 or so years.

They also have taken the time to develope friendships and have permission to hunt behind these oat and wheat fields, always a good idea.

Since I live in Idaho and having hunted most of the state, I will assure there is a hell of a lot of Federal land thats not worth your time to hunt..Poor management and an attitude of who cares is the problem...All the money from those $400 non resident tags and licenses go for new trucks and office buildings and damn little management.

If you want a successfull Idaho hunt you best find out which is the better draw hunts or your success rate will be about 9% state wide, or so I have been told by some Fish and Game officers.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. A,

I have hunted up in unit 1.

I am from Idaho County. Look it up.

I am not from Texas.

Thats were I am comming from.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buff,

For research. Check out www.monstermuleys.com forums. Again good luck I think you will enjoy the hunt alot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buff

I hunted in Montana for 12 years next to that part of Idaho, for black bear.

I saw a lot of bears, the last few years more Grizz than Black.

Also a lot of moose, I do not know how far over into Idaho the bears go, but I thought you might like to know.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buff,

NE 450 No2 has a good point. There are Grizzlys up there and lots of black bears. They say there are caribou in the country but I have never seen one while hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks men. I saw the griz warning on Idaho's website.

Stu

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buff

I do not know where you currently live, but I can say that that part of Idaho is very beautiful, from a hunters perspective.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote