New
Find
Notify
Tools

we need better rifle designs!
 Login/Join

<Dr. John>
posted
So many posts are out discussing cartridges of various types which have little to no improvement to their counterparts. (ex: 300H&H, 300 win, 300 WSM, 300 weath, 300 RUM, etc.) all these new cartridges coming out but with very little improvements in the rifles being chambered for them. you would think that by now after all these years manufacturers could consistantly produce rifles that yield at least 1/2"groups at 100 yards. you would think that they would function almost flawlessly. what could be done to improve rifle design and keep it affordable. consumers have had similar complaints about certain rifles that to me should make the rifle manufacturers make design changes.

I feel that manufacturers could float all barrels. how difficult can that be. Ruger #1 have always had complaints of inconsistant accuracy which can be corrected easily. why should we have to by a cheap kit? and so on....

rifle designs...how about a 30-06 in a 26" barrel (what is up with the short barrels and carbines only?)

yes custom rifles can be built to each persons specs but custom rifles cost big bucks because they are one of a kind. however they include things that most people would like in their rifles.

I just think it is time manufacturers get off the "new cartridge" kick and get into the "better rifle" kick.

<heavy varmint>
posted
I agree, most new rifles I have owned shot sub MOA but only after bedding, floating, and trigger work. How much could it possibly cost the manufactures to put on the finishing touches and give there rifles a much better reputation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would guess the reason is 95% of the rifle-buying public is happpy with the way things are and wouldn't pay more for the improvements.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Far be it from me to defend major gun manufacturers but, they make very high quality products that are affordable, as inexpensive as they have ever been adjusted for inflation, and, with very rare exceptions, will do anything the AVERAGE hunter requires with no tinkering. In reality, a 2 MOA rifle(and most factory bolts are better than that) will kill 99% of the game shot in the world, if the hunter can hold it that well. Since I suspect that the average hunter comprises at least 80% of their market, they see no real need to make the product cost say 50% more for a small slice of the market that is being served by other smaller scale operations that charge for their handwork. Indeed, the argument could easily be made, that making most factory rifles more accurate would simply be gilding the lily, since 98% of the shooters can not shoot them up to their current accuracy levels now. And, by so doing, you would be raising the costs of entry to everyone and possibly shrinking the market, which, in the long run, is bad for all of us hunters, accuracy nuts like you and I included.

[This message has been edited by Gatogordo (edited 04-26-2002).]

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Eagle Eye>
posted
Remember, the reason most massed produced rifles aren't free floated is because they tend to be more accurate when they aren't floated. It is a way the massed produced rifle makers can get away with inferior barrels. Applying pressure to the barrel at about 15 foot pounds near the end of the stock changes the vibration (harmonics) of the barrel and this can and often does produce better accuracy in a hunting rifle. Free floating makes a rifle more CONSISTANT in its' point of impact and it sometimes improves the accuracy, but not always.

Now having said that, I agree with the general consensis here that most hunters get the accuracy they need from 'run of the mill' massed produced rifles and those that want better, get it by customizing a factory unit or building a better one from scratch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr. John: I agree that there are a number of improvements which could be made to standard factory rifles which would be at little or no cost to the manufacturer.

1. No more "compromise" combs, designed for iron sights or scopes. No high-intensity bolt rifle (with the possible exception of some big bore DG rifles) is fired with iron sights today. Everyone uses a scope, so why make the comb too low for proper eye alignment.

2. Longer barrels. Some manufacurers have begun to offer longer barrels, but most are stuck on 22-for-standards and 24-for-magnums. A barrel can be cut back by the owner cheaply and easily if he needs a shorter tube, but it's damned hard to go the other way for those of use who want less muzzle blast and more velocity.

3. Less bulk in stocks. Most factory pistol grips and forearms are unnecessarily bulky. It can't cost less to make them trimmer.

4. Adjustable l.o.p. A manufacturer could easily offer a ready-to-mount thicker or thinner pad so that people who need a longer or shorter pull could easily acheive it without altering the stock.

Well, that's most of my wish list; thanks for letting me vent.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I agree. I think most cartridge development/re-development is a redundant waste of time. We don't need more cartridges: we need better rifles to fire the existing cartridges in.

When I look back at all of the fine rifles I grew up with as a young boy - pre-64 Model 70s, Browning High-Powers, German-built Weatherby Mark Vs, pre-1972 Sakos, Model 700 Remington's that were carefully built, etc. - it's pretty obvious that quality has truly declined over the course of the last generation.

The reason for the decline? The consumer simply won't pay the required price to obtain off-the-shelf rifles built to high standards of design, materials, execution, performance, and over-all quality. The average shooter talks a good game, but when it comes time to lay out the money for a finely-built rifle, the average buyer looks for the nearest exit. The manufacturers know this, and they armed with marketing studies to prove it. Everything is built to sell at a certain price level, and is earmarked for a specific consumer group who will pay a ballpark price for the product in question, but little more.

I quit worrying about this stuff quite some time ago. If I buy a rifle, I buy one of the few remaining new rifles that is still built to a high standard of excellence (Anschutz, for example), a quality-built used rifle (Belgian-made Browning Safari, say), or else I have custom rifles built by guys who know how to build to a high standard (D'Arcy Echols, for example).

I can only control what I'm willing to buy. I take great satisfaction in the fact that quality used rifles in excellent or even new condition are available by the score - all I have to do is take the time to find a few of them, which isn't all that hard to do. I can also take a basically sound rifle with an unaltered action, then send it to a top custom riflemaker for an even better solution to the dilema of quality. If you're resourceful, you don't have to depend on the current offerings if they do not meet your expectations.

AD

[This message has been edited by allen day (edited 04-26-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really hate to point this out, but it seems that the Euro rifles have no problem shooting well right out of the box. Sako, Steyr, Tikka and Cz ,etc... And in the case of Tikka and Cz, They can do it at a price ,at or below, a Rugremchester. There is no excuse for the way the the big three US firms are delivering rifles that still need work done to shoot well. And blaming it on the ignorance of the Avg.American Hunter is nothing short of an outrage. Don't they remember how Honda and Toyota damn near beat Detroit into pulp, and forced them to get their heads out of their butts. This forum is proof of the way information moves in the 21rst Century. Joe Sixpack is a lot more informed these days, and if he can buy a sharp-shootin' Tikka for $450, vs a Ruger that needs a trigger job for $500, then it's tough luck for Mr Ruger!

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
I purchased A Tikka 25-06new for under $400.00.It was a trial purchase.I wanted to see if a Sako owned company could make an inexpensive rifle,that would shoot.All the posts,that I read,said they shot a 1/2 inch out of the box.Mine did exactly that.It shot so well,that I had my smith run a .25 Gibbs reamer in it.It's one of the best rifles you can buy,for a lesser price.It is drilled and tapped and also has a rail for mounting scopes.
George
www.shooting-hunting.com

<ChuckD>
posted
I tend to agree with allen day most on this topic. Also, the way I see all this is that there exists now a generation who BELIEVES advertising, having grown up with a TV in place of what us older guys had, which was largely our imaginations. I see retailers of sporting goods as companies doing a shuffle. This year it is short guns, next year it is long guns, lighter ,faster, slower, etc. Which ever card comes up in the shuffle is the new thing---the problem is, that this sells the wares. People who actually believe in the advertising support the marketing. Us older guys, while still contentious enough, know by now that for hunting deer that there are a dozen cartridges that are near equal. In other words, my 7 mag does no better than your 308, it just doesnt mean a lot. We know that shooting well is the MOST impotant factor! We KNOW that such and such caliber will not make us kill more deer (whatever), will not make us the man, And that working with the wind is a 100 times more important than ANY brand of camo. Current marketing preys on the unwary for the most part--as we get old enough we find handguns, bows or muzzleloaders are really all we need. I still think that there are few rifles that actually do what thier owners need--and a whole lot that do what some gun writer says we need. Example? What the hell is the point of having a rifle with so light a barrel that it only shoots well off a bench in a VERY heavy rest. In field positions,one is almost always better served by a medium weight barrel. Now multiply the problem of a light barrel X a 5# trigger--yes it is multiplication! And so on. So you spend more to get a rifle that gets it right. I suspect that has always been true. And, if gun companies marketed what I want, I would bet they would be taking a serious gamble. What do I want? Good wood that fits, NO slop in the action, 3# triggers free of creep and overtravel, nice blueing, oil finishes, etc. Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Amen, Chuck.

Just take a look at the thread page for this forum. Fully two-thirds are not about hunting, they're about hunting products. We spend three times more time talking about products than hunting.

For example, a few months ago I posted what I thought was a really good question on climbing stands at HA. It involved hunting strategy.

Question-When leaving a climbing stand on a tree do you leave it sitting on the ground, and not worry about a buck noticing it, cover it with branches, or put it up as high as you can reach to get any scent it might have off the ground. Or do you simply pack it in every hunt with the added cost of noise and time to set it up every morning.

Now this is a question that deals with how much credit to give a mature buck for smarts and I think is a legitimate hunting strategy question; for after all one might set up a stand dozens of times in a season. Not one bowhunter responded.

Toy talk is fun, no doubt, but I'd love to have some biologists log on, or spend more time talking about hunting tips and strategies (personal ones not the ones that get re-hashed in the fall issues of hunting magazines every year).

Now that I've vented, my buddy's looking at a Sendero .338 Win. for his first elk hunt this fall. What are some thoughts on this, and equivalents from other mfgs?

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Steve
Sendaros are great...
All you have to do is buy a McMillan stock, a Timney trigger, a Shilen barrel, and have your smith lap the lugs and true up the action......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about the following:

1. No more push feeds. Build mausers instead of Savages or Rem 700's.

2. No more safeties on lever actions.

3. Longer barrels.

4. No short action bolt guns except for .222.

OK, I am just getting started.

;-)

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a �06 with 24" barrel, and thats a lot. But to have a choice would be fine.

I fully agree about that DAMN CROSS BOLT SAFETY!!!

I won�t buy one with that gadget. I can live with the slide safety on the tang ( but I lke tang sights on levers ).

If I want a rifle that shoots out of the box: Steyr, CZ, Blaser, Sauer, have not tried Sako ( scope mount troubleprone? ) or Tikka.

If I want a rifle ( LA ) with excellent workmanship it will mostly come from Japan ( Win & Browning 92, 86, 71 ).

Perhaps if sales drop some managers will wake up.

Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
...I suspect that the average hunter comprises at least 80% of their market, they see no real need to make the product cost say 50% more for a small slice of the market that is being served by other smaller scale operations that charge for their handwork.

Good point.
I think if all the major arms makers upgraded their quality today, and never made another gun at current standards, then all who wanted a gun would still buy one, not just the smaller 20% who desires this upgrade.
If it were all that was available, then Joe Average would buy one, if he wanted a gun. Would he know it was a better product? Not sure. Would he care? He don't care too much now, so I doubt it. After all, only, say 20% cares enough to tinker with them anyway.
I imagine cost may go up a bit, but I doubt it would go up far beyound most wallets.
The mere fact the the guns would be selling would make for tity profits. Hense, costs won't be too much higher.
And, I'm sure, some who like to tinker with guns, still will, regardless of their quality. Some just gotta go it one more step further. Like me, sometimes. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I disagree stone, I own several rifles that use iron sights they serve are better than scopes for close shots, and quick ones too. but the idea of getting a personaly tailored gun would be great.

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with Stonecreek On the Gun Fit Issue. I'm 6'4" and weigh 275lbs. I believe my pal, Rusty Gunn said in another thread, he was about 1 foot shorter and about half that in weight. But the boys in the suits think we should have the same length of pull. Hogwash!!!

<waldog>
posted
"Current marketing preys on the unwary for the most part--as we get old enough we find handguns, bows or muzzleloaders are really all we need. "

--Ever consider jumping out of a tree and knifing something? No, I'm half-serious, really.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elmo:
I totally agree with Stonecreek On the Gun Fit Issue. I'm 6'4" and weigh 275lbs. I believe my pal, Rusty Gunn said in another thread, he was about 1 foot shorter and about half that in weight. But the boys in the suits think we should have the same length of pull. Hogwash!!!

Length of pull is much too long for me, and I have to cut an inch or more off the stocks to make them fit right. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote