New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping firearms
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The ATF Firearms Regs say " A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm."

There is no mention of the owner of the firearm shipping the firearm back to his or her home upon the completion of hunting.

Does anyone know what the deal is on getting the firearm back home?

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just ship them to myself at my own address... pretty simple.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you shipping USPS or UPS?

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
USPS both ways... from Missouri to Alaska and back, about $125 each way with $2500 insurance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You just ship it back to yourself. Why not pay the xtra bag fee and bring it home with you?

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brought back coolers of meat, cheaper to ship than pay the airline $200.......

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Sending your rifles through the USPS in both directions is really simple and hassle free. Fed Ex is easy also and they'll pick up from your home but you need an acct with them. Please do understand that you can insure the guns for as much as you want but if you make a claim you will have to show receipts reflecting the value. Personally I don't have receipt for any of my guns.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12929 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually take my rifle on the plane, except when I have meat to bring home. My 65th birthday present to myself a few years back, was a First Class Ticket whenever I fly. Delta allows 3 checked bags not to exceed 70 lbs. each= Duffle Bag & 2 Boxes of meat.

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked into shipping firearms to myself a few months ago. Legally was okay, but as per UPS and FEDEX websites, those two carriers want either a FFL or manufacturer at least at one end. So, the way I read it, they won't ship person to person. My wife and I took a Pelican case each as additional luggage at $35./each, so long as they weighed under 50 lbs with United. Although, I would much rather ship firearms that are easily replaceable and avoid the airport hassles.

Posts: 56 | Location: New Jersey/Wyoming | Registered: 24 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes; here the UPS office will not do this; they want to see the ffl of the recipient. I have talked to them many times about it.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's unfortunate that your local PO won't do it for you, it's very handy and convenient...

This is straight from the USPS website, official code:

b. A shotgun or rifle owned by a non-FFL may be mailed outside the owner’s state of residence by the owner to himself or herself, in care of another person in the state, where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. These mailpieces must:

1. Be addressed to the owner.

2. Include the “in the care of” endorsement immedi­ately preceding the name of the applicable tem­porary custodian.

3. Be opened by the rifle or shotgun owner only.

One of Us
posted Hide Post