THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What's your pick for a 2 rifle combo?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your pick for a 2 rifle combo?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Only two rifles for everything [Confused] hgeaven forbib. I'm haveing a hard time picking a couple to go to deer camp with. I need something for long shaots and short range. In the spirit of your question and to keep it within your guideline it would be a 280 & 375 H&H.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7mm rem mag, since I already got one and a near lifetime supply of brass. I also enjoy using it for groundhogs, crows and stray cats. 375 H & H since it would work fine for me for my only big game rifle.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
<FarRight>
posted
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] STRAY CATS [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Aren't cats just the most useless, annoying creatures...I hate em!

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Like DonMartin says, it is a trick question because unless you live in Alaska the cost of an adequate rifle isn't that large a factor for things like big bears, cape buffalo, or elephants. So if we take those out of the equation I would choose 2 guns that cover everything else.

My choices would then be 25-06 and 338 WinMag.

I think the 338 would be a much better choice on most large game than a 416 and cheaper to shoot too. For what you specify on the small end, I think the 25-06 is pretty hard to beat, whether for long range coyotes or mulies, or whitetails.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
The 30-06 for the light rifle. It shoots quite a variety of bullets from 110grs to a 220gr. which makes it a real rifle for bigger game....and besides, Winchester chambered more rifles in this caliber than any other in the pre-64 rifles which are my favorite.
For the heavy rifle, the 375HH is probably the most useful all round cartridge for Africa. A fairly flat shooting rifle with the 235gr and 270gr and the 300gr for the big stuff, and with tolerable recoil.
I think I could get by with just those two.

posted Hide Post
1. 6,5 x 55

2. .416 Rigby

Posts: 20 | Location: Zealand, Denmark | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Albertahunter>
posted
This is interesting,

Your parameters leave out my go anywhere,do anything(albeit boring according to some)30-06.
Two rifles?I guess if I were to go new,a SS-A-bolt in 7 WSM and a Brno in 416 Rigby.

ABH

one of us
posted Hide Post
264 win mag and 375 H&H. Though a 300 H&H, Win Mag or Weatherby makes more since on the light end.

Two Pre-64 H&H's in 300 and 375, with English Walnut and Rust Blueing. "Come on PowerBall!!!"

Saludos..Frank

Posts: 145 | Location: Katy, Tx | Registered: 06 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the low end, I'm currently shooting a 25-06, 270, and 280 to see how I like em and I may even try a 7mm Rem Mag or a 257 Wby(again) in the near future. I must admit that the 25-06 is really growing on me fast!!! It's accurate and a real pleasure to shoot. If I'm not careful, I'll get in so much shooting with that gun that someone may accuse me of being a good shot. [Big Grin]

On the upper end, I just shot a 375 H&H at the range this weekend and it wasn't nearly as stout as I was expecting....which is good! I enjoyed shooting it and shot a 1" 3-shot group at 100 yards(which looked really cool considering the size of the holes). As far as recoil goes, that would be towards the upper end of what I would want in a BIG game rifle. Are the Ultras in good in this category? Is there a big difference in recoil between the 338 Win, 338 Ultra, 375 H&H, 375 Ultra, and 416 Rem?

I can't afford, nor do I want a bunch of rifles but how can one choose?!? Whoa is me! I guess I'm doomed to go insane with these kinds of decisions haunting my every thought. [Big Grin]

If I had to choose today, I think I'd opt for my Rem 700 BDL SS in 25-06 and a Win Model 70 Classic Stainless in 375 H&H. I'm a little leary of Winchester(contempt prior to investigation) but I like the CRF idea and Ruger doesn't make a stainless 375 H&H [Frown] . Thanks for all the replies so far. Keep em comin'.

[ 11-12-2002, 13:48: Message edited by: Nebraska ]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love these rifle battery threads.

My vote is for a 30-06 and a 9.3x62.

I own both of these and I call them goat and bull, respectively. They're named after two Biblical sacrificial animals as well as what I consider excellent targets for the rifles in question.

I can think of a bunch of other perfect combinations, of course.

Posts: 358 | Registered: 15 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Time to think outside the box.
338 Win Mag
12 Gauge

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think I'll go along with Allen Days suggestion.
A 7mm Remington Magnum and a .416 Remington Magnum. Makes sense to me in a two rifle scenario with Africa in the picture.

One rifle? A .375

Three rifles? A 7 Mag, A .375, a heavy, from .458 Lott to .505

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<bjk>
posted
Because I already own them...6.5x55 and 35 Whelen [Smile]

posted Hide Post
7MM Rem Mag & 416 Rem Mag...

Posts: 2 | Location: grapevine, texas | Registered: 05 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
I take my 300 win mag and buy a new 416 rigby or remington.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just hate it when I agree with Ray [Wink] I would have to take a 338 and 416. The 338 is a little big for song dogs but I can testify it will work on them. [Big Grin]

Posts: 587 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My choices would be .30-06 and 375H&H.

Posts: 240 | Location: Downers Grove, Illinois | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
<sbhva>
posted
Husqvarna lightweight fullstock in 7x57
Husqvarna Double rifle in 9.3x74

Of course I am biased since I am a Husqvarna collector and have these in my collection.

[ 11-13-2002, 09:10: Message edited by: sbhva ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd cheat and do it with one and a half. My Valmet combo .30-06/12 gauge and the spare set of barrels I missed by a day in 9.3 x 62.

With a couple of boxes of Accerators and a .32 S&W L adapter in my pocket, I could kill anything that needed killing.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Well, I'll go with something that's easy to get ammo for. A .223 which will do anything from average size deer and down. A .30-06 for deer and everything bigger in the world as it can manage the big stuff if necessary and which won't be hunted much anyway.