THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: 180 Interloc, SST or Speer Grand Slam for elk

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 180 Interloc, SST or Speer Grand Slam for elk
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted
I don't have experience with the 180 gr. in a 308 but I shoot the 150 gr. SST a lot in my Ruger 308 and to be honest would worry a little about it penetrating on Elk. I think an interbond (or the newish SST interbond) or something similar would probably be a little more likely to give the penetration he wants. I did use a standard corelokt on an Elk 2 years ago but it was a 150 gr. in a 338 Mag, it fully penetrated at a little over 100 yards. I don't have any experience with the Grand Slam unfotunately.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My hunting partner is taking his 308 on an elk hunt this fall and he is agonizing over which of the three to use on his elk. He is a very good shot and never shoots for shoulders. He drew a cow tag in area 25 in Wyoming. Any suggestions or experiences?

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
165 grain Hornady Interbond.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, lets face it, at 308 velocities any of the mentioned bullets would probably work just fine. My last choice of the three would be the SST based on seeing them come completely apart on wild hogs.

However, if I was going elk hunting with ANY 30 caliber rifle my bullet of choice would be a 180 grain Nosler Partition, plain and simple.

Having said that, I have friends who have been pleased as punch using both the 180 grain Interlock and the 180 grain Grand Slam bullets in their 300 Win Mags on elk.

Maybe we just spend too much time worrying about such things. I have some friends who do not think Sierra's are very good game bullets. I use them from time to time and have never seen one bounce off as of yet.

But once again, for elk I prefer the Nosler Partition.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote