Find
Notify
Tools

338 Hornady 225 grain bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted
Have anyone used the 225 grain Hornady bullets in the 338 winchester how good do they perform

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Flip,
I found them to be a bit soft. I remember shooting a blesbok ,broadside, that didnt even pass through. couple of whitetails were the same.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 225 Hornady on lots of game from Blesbok to Gemsbok, and they work great.

Tht Hornady Heavy Magnum ammo at 2940 is a real terror on Black Wildebeest.

Recovered one from A Gemsbok at 200+ yards, and it was a perfect mushroom.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only started using this bullet, mostly for target practice, but have shot two hogs with it. The first was an 80lb sow at 40 yards, quartering away, through right side liver and out left front shoulder, dropped in tracks with no bullet recovery. The second was a 350 lb sow, quartering to me, 50 yards, in through left shoulder, out right side belly, ran about 20 yards with no bullet recovery. The exit holes on both were around 1" in diameter and not a lot of meat was torn up, I'm going to try this load on deer and hope for the best, it is 75 grains of Rel 22 pushing the bullet at 2800 fps and it is accurate,best 5 shot 100 yard group is .564, most run ~.65".
I'm starting load development with the Nosler 225 partition for my upcoming elk hunt. From what I've read the Hornady would probably do fine but I want a little insurance,I've used the .308 180 partition before and it did fine so hopefully the .338 version will do so.

Posts: 273 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I've got quite a few recovered 225 Hornady's that I've recovered from elk, mule deer, bison, etc. Most of them are textbook examples of the perfect mushroom. Unfortunately, I also have a few recovered specimens that are in fragments.

The potential weak point of the Hornady Inter-Lock bullet is the jacket itself. If the jacket develops a verticle split that extends past the cannelure, the Inter-Lock band will typically not retain the core, and if that happens you run the risk of unacceptably poor penetration. This has caused me some grief on elk, and as a result I no longer use them.

Quite honestly, unless your own a .338 that won't shoot anything else, you're better off with a stronger bullet such as the Nosler Partition. Yes, Noslers are comparatively expensive, but then so are safaris, not to mention trophies fees on lost animals!

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I loved them in my 338-06 but found them too soft in my 338 Win...never failed but I like two holes in everything I shoot and recovery of a nice bullet is not my choice, a two inch exit hole tells the tale with me......

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<X-Ring>
posted
I have had good results with them on deer, and a buddy uses them on elk. Never had one not kill it's prey. What else need a bullet do? BTW we both shoot 338win's
X-Ring

<JMeier>
posted
I've had good luck with them on deer and wild hogs, but have never tried them on anything bigger. Like everyone else, I think you should switch to something tougher on bigger game.

JMeier

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
I havent tried them on game yet but the accuracy in my browning bar is excellent. I use 74 grains of H4831

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a box of them for use with my 338-308.
From the posts I've been reading they sound like they will work great at speeds around 2,500fps that the 338-308 will produce.
I'm looking at this round/bullet for whitetail, but could also reload them in my 338mag, although my favorite bullet for that is either the 230gr. Failsafe, or the 225 Nolser Part..