Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Are you Short Maged out yet?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

The 375 RUM is begging for a 350 to 370 gr bullet in a factory load at 2600 fps as that will put it in .416 Rem and Rigby territory while dropping what is essentially excessive velocity and trading it for bullet mass...A STOPPER.

Wouldn't you worry about the rebated rim on the 375 RUM though? Seems like it could cause a feed issue that wouldn't be there with a more "traditional" caliber.

I think the short mags are really neat, and if I were buying a rifle in one of those bores I'd look into one. Everyone I know sings the praises of the new Ultra mags but I think they just bought into the hype. The 8mm Remington Mag has been close to the .300 RUM for ~25 years!! Yet it is the least successful cartridge Remington has made since WW2. I dont even think there are production guns being offered in it are there?

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I like the short fat idea but don't need what's offered. The benchrest crowd proved years ago that short and fat is easier to get accuracy from, hence the 6mmPPC was all the rage. There really isn't a huge gain in performance so no need to dump a good gun to get one, BUT for a new buyer I thiink the WSM's are a good recommendation.

If Winchester would come out with a .257WSM I'd probably be in line to order one.
BigNate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

The 375 RUM is begging for a 350 to 370 gr bullet in a factory load at 2600 fps as that will put it in .416 Rem and Rigby territory while dropping what is essentially excessive velocity and trading it for bullet mass...A STOPPER.

Wouldn't you worry about the rebated rim on the 375 RUM though? Seems like it could cause a feed issue that wouldn't be there with a more "traditional" caliber.

I think the short mags are really neat, and if I were buying a rifle in one of those bores I'd look into one. Everyone I know sings the praises of the new Ultra mags but I think they just bought into the hype. The 8mm Remington Mag has been close to the .300 RUM for ~25 years!! Yet it is the least successful cartridge Remington has made since WW2. I dont even think there are production guns being offered in it are there?

The 375 RUM rim is .534 and the base is .550, not enough rebate to make any difference.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote