Find
Notify
Tools

NY Times "Slant" On Wolf Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Kudu, you know it may have been a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I suspect it's harbored feelings in what you said about commenting if you don't live there. I have to agree with you.

The sad thing is that most don't see this as an infringement of state's rights guaranteed by the Constitution. The feds foisted this tree hugger on those of you who have to live there from the comfort of their offices a continent away. Then they demaned that you (those states) not have any iiminent domain over resources you had to support. It was a crop of crap when envisioned, it was a PC ploy when it was implemented, and it's a bunch of bullshit for them to act as if they never saw it coming. Good luck.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To me it is not really a matter of opinion, regardless of where you live. The wolves are on federal land as well as private and state. They are our wolves, but the damage caused, by wolves, affects me and those that live here full time, all of the time. THey are having a very negative impact on elk and moose, no matter what excuses IV and brent have. I respect IV's opinion as he is involved in the business of wildlife biology, not an arm chair liberal, who watches animal planet.

NO good has or will come of the wolves released in Wyomning, never! THere is nothing we can do but hope the state holds out and continues the law suit against the US Fish and Wolf Service. And maybe a conservative judge will rule in the states favor.

The USF&Wolf service has lied, tresspassed, twisted reports, threatened, harrassed, and is now attacking the state of Wy by not allowing the state to kill a few wolves that threaten elk and moose, and they have made the wolf, a government sponsered terrorist.

Ranchers, houndsman, and others have to sit with their hands tied behind thier backs and allow the wolf to kill thier personal property. If an animal broke into a barn, or came onto your property and destroyed your property what whould you do? The wolf has and is, doing that to the states wildlife, on state land, state refuges.

And now with the elk refuge wanting to reduce feeding of the elk on the refuge, more elk will die. As hundreds were starved to death last year on the refuge at the hands of the federal government.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Rep Cubin, R-WY Wrote on Friday:

"These wolves were re-introduced against the wishes of local and state authorities and have cost Wyoming's livestock industry hundreds of thousands of dollars due to heavy predation, in addition to significant losses to our big-game herds," she wrote.

The wolf was brought into Wyoming with promises that FWS would closely monitor and track its whereabouts, Cubin wrote. "Unfortunately, this has proven nearly impossible, and several industries in Wyoming have paid the price," she said.

Wolves that make it to surrounding states such as Colorado or the Dakotas, would remain protected under the Federal Endanger Species Act.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Snapper:

So your position is that the number of wolf packs has not increased in number or in geographic distribution since 2004-- otherwise USFWS would "update the map"......

Keep digging...... dancing

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's see, the Govenor, via all his underlings, all three of our US representatives, the head of the G&F as well as many other G&F personnel, hunters, outfitters, guides, outside interests,myself seeing tracks everywhere I hunt, everytime we try to find lion tracks, nothing but wolf tracks, we all say the wolf is killing elk beyond comprehension. Yet IV and brent feel that having 500 or so wolves in this state are not doing any harm to elk or moose populations! Golly gee Wally, who do I believe? bsflag You two are so full of wolf shit your eyes are green!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Whoooaaaaaa..... slow down a minute....

When did I ever say that I felt "500 or so wolves" was not doing harm to moose and elk?

How quickly people forget-- I will paraphrase my position for you again (for probably the tenth time!!):

1) We need wolves in the ecosystem-- How many? I DO NOT KNOW!

2) It would appear based upon the success of the reintroduction that lowering the number of wolves to STATE objectives (this may equate to kiling 60%-80% of what currently exist) is fine with me. Having 10 or 15 breeding pairs. (Not 1200 wolves and 65 breeding pairs)

3) Hunters talking about SSS does absolutely nothing but give those who would rather see thousands of wolves and no hunting of any kind "ammuntion" as to plead their case as to why hunters are no longer the "wise conservationists" they were in the past. We are at a very sensitive juncture (Proposed de-listing and probable litigation)-- the more we (hunters) appear as the "wise conservationists" the more likely the general public is to hand management of wolves over to the states (in essence-- to hunters)If we give the impression we are calling for the extirpation of the wolf-- we are done.

4) I respect Brent's opinions about wolves as much as I respect the opinions of VarmintGuy or Kudu56-- even though we all disagree. I don't care if you are from Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, New York or Iowa!

5)I personally don't trust democrats very much either but the whole government conspiracy thing is crazy. REPUBLICANS have been in the White House for the last 6 years! Cheney is from Wyoming! Kempthorne is from Idaho!

6) I too, will try to be the first in line to get a wolf tag and put one on the wall.

Personally, I am becoming more concerned with how wolves are impacting Mountain lions than anything else....but that is a debate for a different day......

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We need wolves in the ecosystem-- How many? I DO NOT KNOW!

No we don't why would we, they do no good except to kill and maybe eat. How many?

NONE!

Now as for breaking the law to control, no way. I prefer court, sue the bastards! That is the American way these days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wolves that make it to surrounding states such as Colorado or the Dakotas, would remain protected under the Federal Endanger Species Act.

They are already in South Dakota. Two breeding pairs and a single.

The single was killed on the interstate by Sturgis (Black Hills). DNA testing showed it came from Minnesota.

Anywhere there is a healthy overbundant deer/livestock population, they will return to.
Count on it!

They will return to Iowa. Wait until they hammer the trophy Iowa whitetail industry. Not to mention the impact they will have on livestock. Iowa is a huge primary State for presidential election's is it not? I think there will be some political implications forthcoming.

The "reintroduction" just speeded the "recovery" or repopulation. It was probably going to happen, but it would have been later rather than sooner.

I just finished reading Alaska's Wolf Man by Jim Rearden about Frank Glaser. If there are any doubt's in your mind about what wolves really are. You should read this book.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that hunting opportunities in South Dakota will be reduced because of wolves in the not so distant future.

I just can't believe the nonsense and the negative financial impact that the liberals are willing to subject the western states to. All for their perfect wildnerness ideals. Then when wilderness turns around and bites them in the a$$ it's a horrible bleeding heart tragedy.

Do I think a few wolves belong in nature? yes.
Should they be strictly controlled? even more resounding yes.
Should the States be allowed to manage wolves as their populace sees fit? ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Razzer I read that wolves in Eastern Ore, Eastern Wash, Nothern Nev, Nehern Ut and Northen Col and Mt, Id and MAYBE Wy will all be delisted. That covers those wolves moving to other states. I am sure that those states will have to come up with a plan that meets the F&W's criteria.

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
If there's so many wolves down that way maybe you all should do what we do and shoot'em from an airplane. Takes a lot of skill and nerve to try and shoot a wolf while your flying above the treetops...

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M70Nut,

There are plenty of predator control guys here in western SD that kill a bunch of coyotes from airplanes.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if some "big" coyotes have already been taken care of from airplanes.

The SSS approach is alive and well in western SD.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can any of you guys who don't like wolves
that can post a word document with pictures
send me an email. I have something that shows
wolves in their true light but don't know how to get it up.

Posts: 141 | Location: Upstate, New York | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Small wolf pack reported in Walworth County

quote:
PIERRE- Wildlife officials are investigating a rancher report of a small pack of wolves in Walworth County in north central South Dakota.

The rancher said he saw four of the animals near his livestock and was convinved they were wolves because of their size and mannerisms.

Don McCrea, a regional supervisor with the SD GF&P, said a few wolves inhabit the northwest part of the state. He said there have been sightings of wolves elsewhere in the state.

Add SD to the list of state's that have wolves.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDhunter:
quote:
Small wolf pack reported in Walworth County

quote:
PIERRE- Wildlife officials are investigating a rancher report of a small pack of wolves in Walworth County in north central South Dakota.

The rancher said he saw four of the animals near his livestock and was convinved they were wolves because of their size and mannerisms.

Don McCrea, a regional supervisor with the SD GF&P, said a few wolves inhabit the northwest part of the state. He said there have been sightings of wolves elsewhere in the state.

Add SD to the list of state's that have wolves.

Yea, and in the Weekly World News I saw that a rancher shot a 100 pound grasshopper in SD with his .30-30. Unless it has been confirmed, you are spewing fodder.

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Madgoat,

quote:
Wildlife officials are investigating

quote:

I got money to bet that there ARE wolves in SD.

Maybe we should ask the state trapper that actually trapped one?

Or how about the one they confirmed that was hit by a car on interstate 90.

one of us
posted Hide Post
SD.......don't fret about the goat.....when it comes to spewing fodder he is the pro.

There have been sightings over on this end of the state as well .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SD, there is a big difference between picking up a dead wolf along the interstate near Sturgis, and actually confirming a pack.

Never heard about a state trapper actually catching one...care to enlighten us?

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll dig up the details on the trapper accidently killing a wolf. I don't have any info here, but remember reading about.

It was probably 5-10 years ago. It was kind of big deal because wolves are listed as endangered in SD.

There wasn't any prosecution because he was acting in an official capacity and it was an accident. He wasn't trying to trap a wolf. He was responding to some coyote depredation complaints.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's some more stuff:
From the USFW
The carcass of a young adult male wolf was recovered south of Cayuga, South Dakota. It appears to have been shot and its death is under LE investigation. A reward is being offered.

From the Northern Prairies Wildlife Research Center
In 1986, a female wolf was killed in Harding County, in northwestern South Dakota. Local residents claimed to have seen the wolf for months before its death, evidence that it may have established a territory.

Another AP story
Wolf found in South Dakota
STURGIS, S.D. South Dakota wildlife officials report a wolf carcass has been found in an interstate highway ditch near the Black Hills National Cemetery.

An official of South Dakota's Game, Fish and Parks Department says the animal may have come from a group of wolves that were reintroduced into Yellowstone National Park.

The last time a wolf was found in South Dakota was five years ago.

About one-thousand wolves in 140 packs live in Montana, Idaho and Wyoming -- steadily increasing since being reintroduced in Yellowstone and central Idaho in 1995 and 1996.