THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Recommendation on Elk hunting caliber/loads

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation on Elk hunting caliber/loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going on an Elk hunt this year and am looking for recommendations in caliber and load for that hunt. I have a .300 Weatherby that I think will be ideal with 180 -200 gr. pills, but would like the advice from the more experienced folks out here. If the Weatherby is an ideal round, I would like to hear your favorite Elk loads. I think the ranges will be more open than in heavy cover. Thanks and have a great day!

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your Weatherby with either 180 or 200gr bullets should be fine. See which ones it like best and use that. I like a good controlled expansion bullet such as the Nosler Partition. My favorite elk load is the 338Win Mag and the 250 Partition.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your 300 Weatherby with 180 Grain or 200 Grain Nosler Partitions or Hornady Spire points should be a great elk killer! Just load up a max/accurate load with H4831 and go shoot it. If yours shoots like my 300 H&H Improved (same loading info), you'll be a happy camper. - Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The Weatherby will do the job. A bit unwieldy in the timber, but that's it's only drawback. My hunting partner lugs one around, and it works fine. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<WyomingSwede>
posted
Your weatherby will work just fine. Remember it's not the caliber its shot placement. I would recommend putting 100 rounds minimum, through it between now and elk season.
Shoot it enough to develop your ability to put the rifle through its paces. Some offhand, some sitting, some kneeling, shooting with a rest, etc.
This is not a pleasant caliber to shoot, put enough rounds through it to gain confidence in its use. If it is not what you want or need...go to a 7mm RemMag or a 30-06. The elk wont know what its shot with. My $.02 regards swede

------------------
WyomingSwede

<X-Ring>
posted
From what I have read old Roy Weatherby himself used his with great results on elk. I wouldn't wast time looking for a different rifle. Unless you don't care for that one for what ever reason. IE. weight, recoil,to long.
JMHP X-Ring AKA Scooter

------------------
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

If your living like there is no HELL, you better be right!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shark Bait,
I use a .300 WBY as well, a WBY MK V Alaskan. This year was the first year since 1994 that I have not filled my elk tag with the rifle. My standard load as follows:

Federal Premier brass
Nosler 200 gr. Partition
CCI 250
86.0 gr. H-1000

This load averages around 3,050 FPS from my rifle with it's 26" tube. This load is MAX, MAX, MAX, so back of 5 grains if you decide to try it. As far as accuracy goes it is a consistent MOA in my rifle. I have had equally good resutls with IMR 7828 ans RL-22 as well.
Spend the money you would put towards a new rifle on a good pair of Binoculars(Leica!!!) instead.

David Schnabel

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Mark Mcdeavitt>
posted
There are alot of excellent rounds. I agree load , both rounds and see which works best. My favorite is 165 gr. Nosler balistic tips, 76 gr.h4831.

<Caveman>
posted
Your Weatherby will be fine, if you can handle the recoil. I use a 300 Winchester Mag. I hunt in open country too, this year I used Nosler's new 180 grain CT Partition Gold. It worked great! Great bullet. If I were you I would use the 180 over 200, because you will be in open country. Out there the shots get long quick! My 2 cents! Good luck.. elk hunting is hard work! Corey

posted Hide Post
As others have stated, the rifle and caliber are fine. In fact I consider the 300Wby to be about as good as it gets! Use 200gr partitions in your 300, they can be started at 3000fps and actually shoot flatter than 180s at 400+ yards. And, they hit a lot harder up close!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with John the 200 gr. Nosler out of any 30 cal. magnum is just a devastating killer...and from any angle...I also like it in a 30-06 for elk...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote