Find
Notify
Tools

Game Bags? Which ones do you use?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I am hunting javelina and elk the 2nd week of December on public land in Texas.

The state park the hunt is in, is about 4 hours from home and I reckon that it will be cold enough to get things back home to the processor.

What game bags are you using. I am hunting by myself and won't have anything in the way of help. So the plan is to 1/4 the elk if I get one.

The Kuiu ones are out of stock. Does anyone have another source for good quality synthetic game bags?

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Black Ovis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks neighbor!

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I use a couple different types dependent upon the hunt.

I have two sets of the Kuiu bags sized for antelope/deer when hunting in the mountains and preparing for a pack out. Also a set of the larger Kuiu bags for elk.

I have a set of TAGS from Alaska that work great for covering an entire whitetail deer. Use these when hunting in Oklahoma.

Good luck

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Caribou Gear.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Wal-Mart has a good supply of pillow cases and zip ties

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ajillis, from Amazon

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groundtender:
Ajillis, from Amazon

Ordered these and their biggest stuff sack.

Bought direct and saved about $10.

Thank you.

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Seth have a good hunt. And you know what theu say - if you don't post pictures then it never happened! beer

Really want to hunt those little pigs one day too !!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DNM Outfitters hunting game bags from Wyoming. He makes canvas game bags for deer and elk. Made from heavy duty canvas either 10 or 12 oz, draw string and brass grommits. Well made right here in Wyoming he has a nice web site with pictures and sizes of bags.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
Alaska Game Bags 48".The 60" are bigger but too much and cost 10.00 more.Use them every year. I have a very good set of canvas I've never used
because too heavy to pack and have to wash.
Just throw the Alaska's away when done.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I am hunting javelina and elk the 2nd week of December on public land in Texas.

The state park the hunt is in, is about 4 hours from home and I reckon that it will be cold enough to get things back home to the processor.

What game bags are you using. I am hunting by myself and won't have anything in the way of help. So the plan is to 1/4 the elk if I get one.

The Kuiu ones are out of stock. Does anyone have another source for good quality synthetic game bags?

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
Tanzania 2024
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:
Originally posted by groundtender:
Ajillis, from Amazon

Ordered these and their biggest stuff sack.

Bought direct and saved about $10.

Thank you.
. Good luck on your hunt. Those are really good bags, and the best priced ones I could find. I have used them for years

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always used canvas and then I tried different types of bags-- KUIU, Black Ovis, Alaskan, etc.... It was good to try them and realize that the canvas bags are the best. Breathable, protect, strong. Something like these:

https://montanacanvas.com/product/deluxe-game-bag/

http://www.dougswildernessadve...ame-bags-snares.html

Wash and reuse them for years.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I used Alaskan game bags for years, typically a couple times each before tossing them. Cheap and easy, but not very durable. I have also used and like heavier canvas, but those aren't real practical for backpacking when trying to save weight. Last year I bought the Caribou mule deer kit and really like those bags. I've packed out a muley buck and a 5-point bull elk in them so far. They performed admirably, kept the meat clean and cool, washed up nicely, and still look brand new. The reflectors are a very nice touch, as I learned when returning for round two of the mule deer in the desert darkness.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I really like the Allen Back Country bags. They are very durable and lightweight. Being synthetic they clean up with one trip through the washing machine and they come out looking new.

And they are inexpensive($20 for four bags on Amazon).

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MC:
I always used canvas and then I tried different types of bags-- KUIU, Black Ovis, Alaskan, etc.... It was good to try them and realize that the canvas bags are the best. Breathable, protect, strong. Something like these:

https://montanacanvas.com/product/deluxe-game-bag/

http://www.dougswildernessadve...ame-bags-snares.html

Wash and reuse them for years.

We used cotton canvas meatbags in Australia, it was a common product.

I never liked them, as they always stained and looked like hell and then the hand brake would hassle me about putting a bloody bag in her washing machine.

The Ajillis are actually out of stock. He sent me an email telling me that he can't ship them until first week in November.

I am hunting Barbary sheep the first few days of November, but I can buy one on any shelf that is deer sized without a problem. Even our local Cabelas and Sportsmans were out of elk 1/4 sized bags.