Find
Notify
Tools

2019 = 160+" of antelope
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
The 2019 draws brought me a couple of antelope tags. I knew I was in good shape to draw my desired Colorado antelope unit with 11 points, but was surprised to learn I'd drawn my first choice Nevada antelope unit with only 8 points.

With new job responsibilities and an extremely busy summer work load, I decided it was in my best interest to hire a guide for the Nevada hunt. In 2017, I hunted with Pine Peak Outfitters and Jake Rosevear, and 2019 would be no different and I locked in my spot the day the draw results were released.

Opening morning came and we started the task of sorting through the bucks. There were a couple that peaked my interest, but needed a bit more to reach the next level. Right before lunch we came across an antelope that had the classic heart-shaped look and the best prongs we'd seen all day. While I was on the fence, Jake and John that he was a buck I should really consider. In the end, I let him go.

At lunch, we decided we'd better try to find him again. We picked him up and he had that classic antelope "look" I couldn't pass. Green scored 80 3/8".

I spent every spare minute in my Colorado antelope unit during the month of September. The difficult task was finding a good buck on public land. I had found a couple bucks I would have gladly taken, but they were on private property and my request to access those properties were not successful. So, enjoy the grind and keep looking.

A couple weeks prior to the opener I was headed back into the unit to assist a friend's daughter on her first muzzleloader bull tag. While getting a little sidetracked and going to scout antelope before heading to elk camp, I just about wrecked the truck spotting my antelope right next to the road in an area I would call "non-traditional" antelope habitat. He was in the stinking pines!!!

The evening before opening morning I stuck with the buck until he and his doe with two yearlings bedded. Opening morning found me waiting for daylight only to find he was gone. The search was on again. And, being in the pines made things a touch more difficult.

Mid-morning had me making a last look near a little pond I thought he was watering at right next to a busy county road. Came around the corner ... there's an antelope ... it's a doe ... there he is! Bail out of the truck, slip over to some trees and start working my way through them. Settle into pine needles laying prone ... range only 237 yards, perfect. Then, over my left shoulder I hear a vehicle coming down the county road, the it's passenger is decked out in orange and there's only one reason to being wearing orange at this time. They lock up the brakes, and I immediately think, "I'm not letting someone shoot this buck off the pickup mirror." He's facing almost dead away from me, while looking back at the truck. I hastily put a bullet just in front of his right flank with the bullet exiting between his neck and right shoulder. He hits the dirt, whew! I go to get up, look up and he's standing! Flop back down, locate him in the scope again, he's back on the ground, I put another one in him and it's over this time. Nothing like a little pucker factor to cap off a hunt that's been 11 years in the making!!! Green score 84 0/8".

Good luck elk my son has been sending with me for a couple of years now. He doesn't miss a chance at photo ops! Cool

I couldn't be more satisfied with my 2019 antelope tags.

And, yeah, there is something magical about my little elk friend!!! Wink

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love pronghorn hunting, what a great season for you.

Both bucks are beauties, but that CO buck is like a STOVE PIPE!!

Posts: 449 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome job buddy!

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wow, both are real nice bucks! Congratulations.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 exceptional bucks in one year? Outstanding!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1119 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Antelope!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read that header and thought man I gotta see this 160 antelope.
2 80's is good nuff...LOL
good on ya.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two beautiful bucks! Huge congrats.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Most folks look and say......nice bucks

Those folks have no ideas how nice

Congrats Cody

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Congrats Cody

You would be wrong.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post

Congrats Cody

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I've chased a lot of goats around, and I know how great those two are. Fantastic!

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Graybird on two fine Pronghorns! Real beauties.

By the way, you said, 'no pics or it never happened' on my Antelope and Moose. Just-a-Hunter was kind enough to post my pics for me on my 'Moose & Pronghorn' thread in the American Big Game Hunting forum.

It DID happen.

Congrats again on your super bucks. tu2

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on two fantastic bucks!

Posts: 3916 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Graybird congrats on your success, will you elaborate a little on the rifle, caliber and bullets you chose for these pronghorn hunts please, perhaps I missed it but I didn't see anything mentioned.

Jim

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim@IMReps:
Graybird congrats on your success, will you elaborate a little on the rifle, caliber and bullets you chose for these pronghorn hunts please, perhaps I missed it but I didn't see anything mentioned.

Jim

Hey Jim,

For the Nevada hunt, I used a 300 Win Mag with 175 gr Barnes LRX bullets. Shot distance was under 150 yards, didn't range him because it was close.

For the Colorado hunt, I used a custom 6.5x68mm with 127 gr Barnes LRX bullets. Shot distance was 237 yards.

Both didn't allow the antelope to go further than about 5 yards from point of bullet impact.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent, thanks for taking the time.

Cheers

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very nice! tu2

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bucks!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A pair of dandies, congrats

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote