New
Find
Notify
Tools

which boots best?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are some good boots that are both warm (for sitting on stand in freezing weather) and easy to hike in (for getting to the stand)? My hikes average about five miles, and I can sit all day in below freezing weather. Any suggestions?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Back when I tree-stand hunted a lot, the best method I found in bitterly cold weather was to walk in with lightweight boots and take them off once in the tree, replacing them with goose down booties. There is not a boot made IMO with the possible exception of Mickey Mouse boots that can touch them for warmth. Rain presents an issue, though.

I finally found a pac boot (Sorel pacs didn't keep my feet warm) that will keep my feet warm on the stand in any weather. They are called Snow Stalkers or some such rot (you won't be stalking much in them) but they do keep my feet warm. They have some kind of reflective coating in the liner and generous quantities of felt. I think I got them from Cabelas.

You know somebody is cold-natured when they wear pacs in Georgia.

[ 09-18-2002, 04:56: Message edited by: steve y ]

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
I have a pair of North Lakes (insulate ultra 1000) that I bought a few years back. I am amazed at how well they are holding up concidering what they have been through, very warm and still no leaks allthough I do spray them or put mink oil on them from time to time to condition the leather and as an extra step against leaks.

They are a little heavy, maybe to heavy for some.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Herman's survivors and a pair of Rocky wildcats. The wildcats have 500 grams of Thinsulite and are gore-tex lined. The survivors have 400 grams of thinsulate and are gore-tex lined.

I wear the Rocky's while hunting at night in the winter when it is sometimes around 0 degrees. Sometimes I walk and sometimes I sit for a while. My feet stay warm and dry. They both seem to be very durable.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote