New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Coyote
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Okay, does anyone own one and care to write a short review? Great or ghastly... There must be something to it, afterall, it's not a Remington.

Safe Shooting!
Steve redgwell
303british.com

Posts: 172 | Location: New Lowell, Ontario | Registered: 14 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I personally don't have one but I believe someone in the Varmint forum does in 243. I do have a Winnie M70 Heavy Varmint in .22-250 and like it rather well. It's the same short push-feed action with a 26" heavy stainless barrel and synthetic stock/aluminum bedding block (looks like a H-S stock to me). Winchester now markets that rifle with a blue crome-moly barrel as the "Stealth".

I have shot 1/2 moa groups with it without exhaustive load development. I'll tinker around with loads some more to get better accuracy.

The Coyote has a slightly shorter SS barrel and a wood laminate stock. I've seen them, but never shot one. They are almost as heavy as my HV though. Should make a good "predator" rifle if you don't mind the weight.

------------------
BH1

"Did you use excessive force?---I HIT IT WITH EVERYTHING I HAD!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
I handled one but never got to shoot it. Very nice. I own a Ranger push feed and it is a good shooter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I thought that someone around would have one in either 308 or 300 WSM. Maybe owning a Winchester with a push feed is an embarrassment...
It can't be any worse than owning a 700.

Apart from putting one together, a 24 inch barrel, wood stock with low drop and a decent weight to it - 9 lbs I believe - is just about perfect for what I want.
I'm not a fan of SS, I don't like the look. I've never had to worry about rust and stains on my rifles either.
Having handled my share of Rems over the past few years, I can't say that I was impressed with the QC. Maybe I was unlucky, but they are rifles that you buy and build upon. Confidence in your equipment is more important than anything else - target or hunting. For once I just want to buy something to shoot and not have to worry about bashing around in the workshop.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
303british.com

Posts: 172 | Location: New Lowell, Ontario | Registered: 14 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
One interesting thing I wanted to point out is that the .300 WSM Coyotes I have received are CRF actions, not push feed. This is only in the WSMs, but interesting all the same because all the Winchester info says they are ALL push feeds. I haven't had a chance to shoot one but they are really nice guns.

------------------
Greg Rodriguez
Mombasa Trading Company
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I was told be one of the sales ladys at Sports South (in Shreveprt La.) that Winchester made them up for them. Boy SS is really pushing therm too.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote