Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sportsman warehouse Gift Cards
 Login/Join

posted
Today the new owners of Sportsman Warehouse said they would not honor previously purchased gift cards. I callrd and they confirmed it. I have been a regular customer over the years and will never walk through their doors again. My little $25 card given to me by my daughters, will be a nail in their coffin!!!!(business) I'm just glad I used my $250 gift cards last Dec. Not a very good business dealing if you ask me. Gene

Posts: 15 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
There just has to be something illegal about that. It's not like they went belly up or anything, it's just new owners. I wonder how that's going to play out when you potentially have thousands of people out there with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of "donations" Roll Eyes.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
This side of the pond , the taxman would be looking into their books! Eeker

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
It is only the 15 stores that now belong to the United Farmers of Alberta. I don't know why they did this, but they are making enemies around the Northwest. As I work at the Medford, Oregon, store, which is still part of the original chain and is honoring the cards, we have had folks driving all the way from Bend and Portland to buy stuff.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill is right. Sportsman's sold certain stores and those stores are not taking Sportsman's cards, but the cards are honored at any Sportsman's Wharehouse. Even on line, I believe.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MC:
Bill is right. Sportsman's sold certain stores and those stores are not taking Sportsman's cards, but the cards are honored at any Sportsman's Wharehouse. Even on line, I believe.

Sportsman's Warehouse doesn't sell online, except for gift cards.

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
This is yet another example of why gift cards are a bad idea. A very bad idea.

Why not just give good old-fashioned greenbacks?

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Yes the gift cards are still working at the stores not sold out. I just used one today in Colorado Springs. An employee there showed me a letter outlining which stores were sold and which stores would close. One in either Arvada or Aurora Colorado was closing the other two Colorado stores (Colorado Springs and Grand Junction) will remain opened and under same ownership.
He claimed that by selling and closing some stores the other stores remaining open and unchanged will have more capital to re-stock!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Anybody know the status of the Idaho Falls, ID store? When I was there two weeks ago, many of their ammo shelves were bare.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
When I glanced at the list I saw Nampa, Pocatello and Idaho Falls but I don't remember which list they were on I was just looking for Colorado ones. My brother has some mounts in the Grand Junction store and I wanted to alert him if it was closing.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Nampa and Pocatello are being liquidated. Coeur d'Alene is going to UFA.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/company.cfm

The 15 stores bought by UFA are not honoring previously bought gift cards it seems. I know my Burlington WA store (one of the 15 bought by UFA is NOT taking the gift cards).

What a terrible business decision. Times are tough and a customer wants to use to use "your" gift card to make a purchase. "I'm sorry, you are out of luck...the $25, $50, $100+ someone gifted you is no longer honored here...maybe try a different Sportsman Warehouse that wasn't bought by UFA."

I know people here are NOT pleased and will NOT support Sportsman in the future.

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW, very sad

I now have a card that I can not use.... thumbdown

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I,ve decided what I'm going to do with my little $25 card. I'm going to frame it and attach a note to it saying the only time I'll walk through their doors is to look over an item (hands on) I'm interested in buying. Leave empty handed, my dollars still in pocket. Head home pick up a Cabela's catalog and order it from Cabele's. You should keep this as a reminder of why your newly acquired stores failed.

Any one have the new owners home address ???

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Another reason for not making purchases with them, their now another non USA company. We need our dollars to stay in the USA more than ever right now. Gene

posted Hide Post
I just got word and called to verified it that the new owners of Sportsmans Warehouse will accept gift cards today and tomorrow ONLY. So all of you with gift cards better get a hold of your local stores. Sounds like the new owners figured out they screwed up big time. Gene

One of Us
Picture of The Shottist
posted Hide Post
We still have a sportsman's warehouse in town.
I will buy any sportsman's warehouse gift cards that you guys have. I can use them here.

Let me know what you have.

If your hunting dog is fat, then you aren't getting enough exercise. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: currently N 34.41 W 111.54 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ho-hummmmmmm. sportsmans whorehouse here in town (Nampa, Idaho) is going tits up. It may be hard to tell from the looks of their parking lot the last six months. I went twice, and they did not have any "exotic stuff" like 375 rifle brushes in stock. Lots of speedos though, in case I get a case of exhibitionism and can't shake it. Their crap here was about 99% camping and outdoor clothing. They had a small selection of handguns, all hung 4-5 deep on the back wall on wooden pegs.

Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say!

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
We have one in St. Cloud, MN.

They had sales on "everything" this weekend so I stopped by. Tons of people there, but as I figured "up to 30%" meant most was 10 or even 5%.

They never sold used guns and had some reloading stuff but it always was high...

I wonder if the local one here is closing its doors... I don't suppose I'll miss it much. Gander Mtn. here sucks worse though.

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The St Cloud store is on the list to be closed (liquidated).

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/company.cfm

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An update on UFA store accepting SW gift cards.

http://www.oregonlive.com/busi...ortsmans_wareho.html

quote:
New owner of Sportsman's Warehouse will accept gift cards after all
by Laura Gunderson, The Oregonian
Friday March 20, 2009, 11:28 AM

The Canadian co-op that agreed to purchase 15 Sportsman's Warehouse stores has changed course and will now accept gift cards from the sporting goods retailer through March 31.

Last week, UFA Co-Operative Limited confirmed it had purchased 15 of the retailer's 60 stores, including outlets in Salem, Bend, Southeast Portland and Vancouver. The Calgary-based company has 120,000 members and reported annual sales of $1.8 billion.

UFA initially said it would not honor the chain's gift cards. At the time, a Sportsman's Warehouse spokesman confirmed that "a significant number" were in circulation but could not say how many were held by Oregonians.

Midvale, Utah-based Sportsman's Warehouse announced March 10 that it would sell 15 stores in Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana to UFA. It also expects to liquidate 23 others to reduce its debt.

The sporting goods retailer will continue to operate its store in Medford.

Unfortunately, SW has filed chapter 11 bankruptcy for the remaining stores they still operate.

http://deseretnews.com/article...43,705292485,00.html

quote:
Sportsman's Warehouse Inc., an operator of retail sporting-goods stores, sought bankruptcy protection from its creditors citing the economy for its action.

The company said it had combined assets with a book value of $436.3 million and combined debt of $452.2 million as of Dec. 31 in Chapter 11 documents filed early today in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Wilmington, Delaware.

"Sportsman's Warehouse is another retailer victim of the worldwide global recession," Rourk Kemp, chief executive officer, said in court papers.

The Midvale, Utah-based stores serves as a "one-stop supplier" of equipment, apparel and footwear related to fishing, camping, hunting and other outdoor activities.

The company recently sold 15 stores and is in the process of closing 23 others. It operates 29 stores in the U.S.

The company and its affiliates' 30 largest creditors without collateral backing their claims are owed about $34.2 million, according to court documents. The three biggest unsecured creditors are Federal Cartridge Co./Atk, owed $6.4 million; Browning Safes and Acc and Browning Arms, owed $3.2 million; and Olin Corp. Winchester, owed $2.4 million.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gift cards ARE a bad idea. I'd bet you have had it for some time?? You needed to use it. You have a way out...not ALL the stores have gone belly up. You do have some options here. Get over it.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The one here in Sioux Falls, SD is also closing. Stopped in there today, but didn't see any absolutely smokin' deals. As usual, the stuff that I guy might actually need or want was either pulled off the shelves or wasn't part of the sale. I speculate that they are just using the whole deal as a gig to try to sell some of the stuff just taking up space, and anything they can actually make any $$ on is being shipped off to other stores. Who knows, and really who cares. As long as the internet and Cabela's are still around, what's the big deal.

Posts: 217 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 October 2002Reply With Quote