Notify
Tools

Re: 30-06 Elk Load Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted
Quote:

You guys with experience shooting elk. Would a 180 grain Sierra SPBT GameKing be acceptable loaded up in a 30-06 at ~ 2750 fps?

Thanks,
ASS_CLOWN

You could but I wouldn't. Swift A-frames is a much better choice. Elk are not the kind of animal you want to be screwing around with Sierra bullets.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Again I am puzzeled by the responses of " elk aren't the kind of animal to be using Sierras on" because they will work fine if shot placement matches the bullet!

I'm not suggesting they are the end all to bullet selection, but a 180gr. into the boilerroom of an elk will definately bring it down. There are better choices if you're of the opinion that breaking shoulders is the way to go, but then heavier bullets would also help.

I don't think the original question posted was for anything more than stirring the pot really. And that being the case I guess I'm helping. Sorry!

Premiums only is just kindof a pet peave I guess. Personally I think the Hornady interlock is one of the most overlooked standard bullets that works very well in a standard velocity situation.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote