THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Shooting antelope..., bipods, shooting sticks??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting antelope..., bipods, shooting sticks??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm going on my first antelope hunt this fall and I'm really looking forward to it. It should be a fun hunt.

I've been trying to research the different bipods, shooting sticks etc. and would appreciate any input as far as model numbers etc. What do you use or do you use or recommend a bipod, shooting stick??

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sendero300:
I'm going on my first antelope hunt this fall and I'm really looking forward to it. It should be a fun hunt.

I've been trying to research the different bipods, shooting sticks etc. and would appreciate any input as far as model numbers etc. What do you use or do you use or recommend a bipod, shooting stick??

I generally shoot antelope from prone, using a fanny pack for a rest that nearly duplicates the effects of a sandbag I use at the range. When the range of a shot is lengthy there is almost always time for a little preparation.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slam dunk for me is the 9-13" Harris on the front and my fanny pack or day pack for a rear rest.

Set this way I am good to go.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use shooting sticks. They are 30" and I made them out of a couple of saplings - easy enough to throw aside if I got tired of them. 10 yrs later, I will probably be taking the same sticks to Africa.

I would never ever use a bipod on my rifles. Bisides not fitting, they would destroy the balance. Short legs may also be too short to use if sage brush or grass is too tall.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I personally like the Stoney Point Pole-cat shooting sticks. I was very skeptical at first but now I'm addicted to them. I carry them with one leg extended out about 5' 6" and use it to steady my binoculars. They're quick to adjust and they don't weigh much. They just work way better than I'd expected. Have used them on two antelope hunts, one deer hunt and numerous prairie dog hunts and like I said, I'm addicted to 'em.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sticks. I have done both and sticks are the way to go.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
A rolled up jacket on the hood has worked for me a few times!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harris bipod is as good as it gets.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like and have used stoney point shooting sticks for years. Bipods to me just get in the way and are harder to adjust on uneven ground.

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
The problem I have had with bipods are that they often will not get above the sage. I would recomend shooting sticks. If you have the opportunity to shoot prone simply dont use all the legs...mini sticks! They also weigh a lot less than a bipod.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sendero, you know one of the great things about AR is the varied and experienced input you get. I've used both the Stoney Point shooting sticks and the Harris bipods with the swiveling attachment (allow you to level your reticle). I have had success with both, but I am in the Harris camp, to me they are a lot more stable, and when shooting off of them they are certainly balanced, although maybe as some other poster alluded to, the rifle might be unbalanced when toting it with them on it.....

I know I can shoot some hella good groups off of them at the range, and have made some great shots afield, that I don't think I could have made with the Stoney point sticks.

If you could, it would be great to shoot with both of them at your range and see which you like best, I will say I think it is important to have the 'panning' feature on the bi-pods.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Bipod is great if you don't mind carrying the extra weight. I am getting used to the sticks though.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would also opt for the Harris bipod with the swivel action. According to my range finder, I shot my antelope at 294 yards this year. The bipod was rock solid. I know that such a shot can be made with shooting sticks, but in my experience the bipod is steadier.

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Harris bipod that ranges 11"-25" and pivots. Short enough to lay down and will also reach high enough to sit and see above the sage.

Posts: 39 | Location: Casper, WY | Registered: 18 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
I would consider the type of shooting you expect first.

If it's a place where you will be sitting/prone and waiting for the shot, I prefer a swiveling bipod. They usually have limited height adjustment, so make sure you get the height you'll need or you'll be shooting through the grass.

If you are on spot and stalk and don't expect to have much time to take a shot, I'd go with some kind of sticks. Do yourself a favor by going to the store and trying them out first to see what YOU like the most.

Good luck on the hunt.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I carry aluminum sticks. I have used both, and prefer the weight savings and versatility of the sticks. Also, shooting w/o the use of the bipod while attached is a nuisance (offhand or off a knee). I can shoot consistantly at 1" with sticks, and have no problems shooting at extended ranges with them. Oh yeah, they are quieter, too.

If you get a bipod, get the Harris S series. The static bipods are junk in the field. Attached bipods are fun to shoot off of, but don't beat out the sticks in accuracy when you have practiced with them (the sticks).

Posts: 159 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sendero 300: I use the Harris tall swivel model bi-pod. I also Hunt with a rather chunky day pack. If I am real low to the ground I set the Rifle on the day pack and snuggle in to the Rifle sometimes using my left hand as a rear rest at the Rifles butt.
Then of course if a shooting position from the sitting or kneeling position is chosen (mandated by cover or terrain) then the tall model bi-pod really comes in handy! The swivel model will allow you to attain a steady sight picture on the Antelope much faster than the non-swivel models. I learned that lesson first hand having used the non swivel models for many years before the swivel feature became available on the Harris bi-pods.
By the way I use a Remington 700 Sendero in 270 Winchester for my Antelope Hunting these days. By looking at your name I was wondering if you have a Remington Sendero in 300 Magnum?
Best of luck on your upcoming first Antelope Hunt!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best IMO:

Long Grass

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A bipod on a rifle is like training wheels on a Harley... Big Grin Big Grin

Just kidding. I think speed goat hunting is the perfect place for a bipod. For most other hunting I don't personally care for them. The collapsable Steady Stix from Stoney Point are slick as can be. They weigh next to nothing ad take up very little space.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses....interesting seeing what others actually use. I can see where the bipod might be best in some cases then the sticks would be best in other. I think I'll take both. I already have some Stoney Point sticks and I just discovered that a friend has a couple Harris bi pods he's willing to loan out. This is a 2-1 hunt and my son will be hunting with me so we could set one rifle up with the Harris and the other free with the sticks.

VG, I have (or will have) a .300HH ..Hill Country Rifles is working on it now. I have another .300WM in the works...Hein rifles. Then my .243Win. Not sure what we are going to take. One of the .300's for sure and maybe another .300 or maybe the .243 for a second rifle....haven't decided.

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
No one has mention this but I love mine - a "Snipe Pod".

It just weighs a few ounces and swivels. It works for me sitting, kneeling, or prone if I don't fold out the legs.

There are several lengths and they mount to your rifle's swivel stud. Retails for about $100.

Just Google "snipe pod" and you will find their website.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sendero300:
Thanks for all the responses....interesting seeing what others actually use. I can see where the bipod might be best in some cases then the sticks would be best in other. I think I'll take both. I already have some Stoney Point sticks and I just discovered that a friend has a couple Harris bi pods he's willing to loan out. This is a 2-1 hunt and my son will be hunting with me so we could set one rifle up with the Harris and the other free with the sticks.[QUOTE]

I would definately sight in with the bipod before the hunt. I have one bipod that changes the POI when I put it on. That's at 100 yards. Just a suggestion.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote