New
Find
Notify
Tools

HUNTING CLOTHES
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for some advice on some hunting clothing. I would like a 3-in one set up. Gore-Tex or other laminate thats definetly waterproof. Plus a bib.

Mostly be hunting in Northeast (NY, VT, NH, ME) and a trip a year to Canada.

I tried out Cabela's brush buster GorTex set up and it was pretty good but it only comes in duck blind and thats toooo much yellow for my woods!

Any advice is very much welcomed. I have a trip coming up early Spring for Black Bear in NWT -- 3-1 should be great for the possible temps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
take a look at the browning catalog

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Cabela's just had a big year end sale. Check on-line...

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check this stuff out, it is first rate +!

Ravenwear

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well if you are not going to use wool, go to a high tec backpacking store...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
+1 on the first choice being wool.

I use a lot of high tech synthetics, but wool is a big part of what I wear. Also UNDERARMOR, I can't say enough good stuff about it, the only bad thing is it is expensive!! Look at Cabellas Rain Suede line and my favorite,

http://www.sportchief.com/en/p...ine_catalog.php?c=20

Good luck...

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabelas MT050 Gore-Tex. beer

Buy your jacket on the larger size. Layering with different styles of clothes is better than the 3-1 systems. You’ll have more of a choice on what to wear.

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was finally able to get a set of Cabela's MT050 GorTex jacket and bib. Man what a hastle. Just about every time I tried either the parka or the bib was out of stock. The economy really has even larger retailers NOT stocking enought product. I certainyl can understand to some extent.

Anyway, I really wanted the 3-1 system MT050 simply because I am new to serious hunting. I am no stranger to cold and how to properly layer. I winter hike and mountaineer/ice climb New Hampshire, VT. ME often. My layering system is a GorTex shell, fleece, and base layers. No fear there as I'm almost always in motion unless in camp. And if in camp I have Marmot and Mt Hardware goose down as my friend. These jackets certainly do NOT come in RealTree or MossyOak killpc

Just thought that the 3-1 would be good enough for stand sitting in real deal cold (not that -40F bullshit some of you sit in but a more reasonable -10 or so).

Leads me to wonder?????????? Do they make plastic boots (like Koflach??) or leather mountaineering boots lie LaSportiva for hunters???????????

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BISCUT:
Just thought that the 3-1 would be good enough for stand sitting in real deal cold ...
Hey Biscuit, I can't help you below about +40deg, but I have used a Down Sleeping Bag to climb in on Stand. With all the other clothes I had on, I needed to leave it unzipped, but it worked just fine to keep me toasty while sitting real still.

Seems to me that if you put enough stuff on to stay warm at -10deg while sitting, you would break a sweat just getting to or into the Stand. And of course once the sweat gets going, the scent trail is wide open.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just thought that the 3-1 would be good enough for stand sitting in real deal cold (not that -40F bullshit some of you sit in but a more reasonable -10 or so). I've got the MT-050 system myself, and it will do you well, in those type of temps, the key is having a good balaclava/headcover of some type, I like the goretex ones, and a lil tip, buy a couple, your breath condensing on the inside will cause rankness in a few hunts! You get much lower than -10, you will want something more like the Ravenwear!

Leads me to wonder?????????? Do they make plastic boots (like Koflach??) or leather mountaineering boots lie LaSportiva for hunters???????????
Yes they do, check out:Muckboots--one among many good options!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote