New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes Triple shock bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone had any experience with these new bullets? Is it true that they have less pressure and fouling? How about accuracy? I just had some loaded for my .257 Roberts, but have not had a chance to try them due to all the snow here. They were loaded by Superior Ammunition in S. Dakota. Thanks

Posts: 214 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
They are an improvement on the regular X, and in my opinion, the XLC. I have loaded 140 gr. TSX-BT's in my 7saum, but will need to do more testing before I have a more solid opinion.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the TSX in several calibers, and they are the best thing I have seen in a long time.

I'm taking them in my 270 Win and 338 Mag to Africa this year.

Took Deer last fall with the 7 mag, and got perfect performance.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last November I used a Barnes TS in 6MM on a 1 1/2 year old buck on a depredation permit. I hit him on the point of the right shoulder and the bullet exited the back 1/3 of his left rib cage. He fell at the shot, got to his "feet", on shakey legs, spun l 1/2 times and ran 50' and fell dead.

Upon examination there was a quarter sized entrance hole and the exit hole was about like a 50 cent piece. On the ground was the lower lobe of his left lung, about the size of a tangerine! Also, a blood trail Stevie Wonder could have followed. As I dressed him I realized there was no more than a cup of blood left in the body cavity.

Upon skinning the animal I realized the entrance whole was the size of a quarter, with little more damage to meat or bone around it, the exit hole was actually the size of a silver dollar, in the ribs themselves, again with little more damage than that. As you can assume the front of the right lung top of the heart and back of the left lung looked like they had been in a train wreck!

My reaction, this is the bullet they used to make in a semi-spitzer shape and discontinued it cuz it wasn't sexy enough, this from Barnes PR desk. Of course their description was worded a little different than mine. Fact is the same, it worked but wasn't cool looking enough. This is the first I have used them after putting two 270's through the lungs of two deer in the fall of 1994. Both were lost after long follow ups.......one the coyotes ate the other-I believe did not die.

My evaluation, if they all work like this "one" kill, would be, they are back...essentially they had to go full circle to reinvent what they had in the first place. I can only wait to try my 270 and hopefully they will soon have a 225/338 bullet.

Good Hunting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I can only wait to try my 270 and hopefully they will soon have a 225/338 bullet.

Good Hunting, "Z"

Great News, they HAVE a 225 gr 338 TSX, and I have shot them. Out of SAKO, the first 5 went into one hole, they are now in the CAR hunting Bongo.

In my 270, the 140 gr were the best.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They work REALLY well out of my 300 remington ultra mag. The velocity on this group avergaed 3512 into just under 1/2 moa.

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey everyone! This is my first time on this forum and am happy to be a part of this great site. I have tried these Triple-Shocks in my .308 using the 150 gr. and I killed an 8- point whitetail buck with them at 130 yds. His legs stiffened and he keeled over on the spot. Little more than a nickel size hole coming out, hit just south of the backbone upper part of lungs. These bullets with 45 gr. of Varget group at less than 1 in. at a 100 yds. consistantly. Barnes is the only bullet I use for hunting, I also like the XLC's and currently working up a load with the 168 gr. XLC. They both have less fouling than the X-bullet but alittle more than the regular lead core bullets. Not sure about pressure, but I loaded a 150 gr. XLC to 47 gr. and found no high pressure signs. I shoot them from a Savage 10FP. Shot a doe this season also with this load and it had the same effect on her at 40 yds. as the TSX had on the whitetail buck. Good luck duckster in your search.

Posts: 48 | Location: Mo. | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just bought my first box of 6mm TSX in 85 gr. to use in my 6mm 30-30 AI. Should be just perfect for the plains deer but I won't get to load up any for a while.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last year in my 270 the 130s shot so well I tried them on deer. At 424 yards, just in front of the shoulder they knocked a big muley down and left a fist size exit hole. It was impressive to have a big buck knocked off it's feet by 130 grain that didn't hit bone at that range. On a straight frontal shot at ~100 yards, the perfectly shaped mushroom bullet was found in the rear ham roast as we were preparing Sunday dinner. That deer seemed to die before the bullet came to a stop. Tried 168's in an '06 and now two rifles are shooting them around half an inch, with noticably less copper fouling and lower pressures. 270 is getting 3200 fps and the '06 I have not had time to try increased charges so it untried at 2900fps. Bought some in .284 to try and 257s are next.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Without wanting to go on a runt,these isolated reports of killing a deer with 1 shot,only to have it fall over on the spot or after a 50y+ dash,tell me nothing.
Barnes solids are finicky bullets,in some barrels they perform fine,in others I have wasted hundreds of loads in vain,in the attempt to make them shoot even 2" @ 100y
TX bullets to me look like the old X bullets ,changed to have less contact with the barrel,by introducing the driving bands,pretty much like Northforks.
Once out the barrel ,they should perform the same as convential Barnes X.Does anyone have information that would suggest a different internal composition?

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote