New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot a nice tom this morning
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
And it was the second one I shot at, too! I missed a nice gobbler at about 5:30 this morning (too much brush, too far, didn't have the scope on my gun, I developed a bunch of great excuses) but redeemed myself an hour later, calling in four gobblers with hot pants. I shot the closest in self-defense (he was about 15 feet away.) After I plucked and cleaned him I picked a couple pounds of asparagus by the side of the road. Now if I could find a couple pockets full of morels too, I'd have dinner!
My son and I will go out this evening (homework permitting) to try to fill his tag.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your son this evening! Hard to hold steady on those Turkeys sometimes, you probably had a cramped arm or something--good comeback though!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdirks:
And it was the second one I shot at, too! I missed a nice gobbler at about 5:30 this morning (too much brush, too far, didn't have the scope on my gun, I developed a bunch of great excuses) but redeemed myself an hour later, calling in four gobblers with hot pants. I shot the closest in self-defense (he was about 15 feet away.) After I plucked and cleaned him I picked a couple pounds of asparagus by the side of the road. Now if I could find a couple pockets full of morels too, I'd have dinner!
My son and I will go out this evening (homework permitting) to try to fill his tag.

thumb thumb
Kudos on the tom!!
Morels are coming out here now. My son was Turkey hunting just east of here and saw a few.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, a cramp! That's the ticket.
Well my son appears to have the same affliction, but, fortunately with the same result. After he got his homework done we got into the woods at about 6:15, spooking a flock of jakes in a cornfield on our way in. We settled into a good spot in some pines and I managed to call them in about a half hour later. Poor kid missed a shot on a jake standing on a log ten yards away, craning around for the hen that had been making all that racket. He was really down on himself.
We moved to a new spot, called until about 8:00 and decided to sneak up to the edge of a cornfield for the last few minutes of shooting time. That was when he spotted a jake roosted on a low branch. Nailed it!

So we ended up with two in one day! Next year, when my other son can hunt, we'll try to make it a triple!

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's one I dropped on Wednesday after fighting off 2 a-hole hunters and 1 good guy hunter who showed up at 0500 when I was set up at 0430:

19 1/2
10 1/4
7/8 x 2

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote