New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for you Texas guy's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A good friend of mine is going to bring his Daughter back to fort hood in the 4th of January as her Husband is coming back from Iraq. I was thinking of taking a week of vacation and helping them move back down. I was wondering if someone could direct me to or give me a couple of options of some place to hunt pigs or maybe a cull deer hunt. Money is a issue as I've already spent my hunting budget for the year but hey January is a new year and I think I could swing a reasonable price. Not looking for anything fancy,just 2 days+/_ weekday Ok. I would like it to be within 100 miles of Fort Hood or maybe 2 hrs as I will be using my friends car while he finishes getting her place ready/hanging out with family. Thanks in advance BB2

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out this link for the seasons:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/hu...ason/animal_listing/

Most counties, where you want to hunt, the season closes on the 4th of January. Late season might be an option but usually it's only for spikes and does (just what you want).

If you could find a landowner w/doe permits you might could still harvest those after regular season.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
Some MLDP leases go into or through February. Might have a few with some tags left. Post up on as many forums as you can and maybe you will get lucky.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm way too far from Killen to help you, but if you can stop by on your way back, you'd have a pretty good chance of killing a DOE (no bucks) any morning or afternoon with a slim possibility of pigs and I'd write it off as foreign aid to a Yankee friend, no charge. We're about 6 hours drive from Killeen and are a level 3 Managed Lands Ranch which means our gun season runs from approx the first of Oct to the end of Feb. I usually shut it down roughly end Jan. We have 30 doe permits this year and usually have a helluva time filling them all since I won't let them be wasted and I don't like giving them to people who don't appreciate it.

The problem, from your POV is that to hunt deer in Texas you'll have to have a non-resident deer license which is around $300. I think that's outrageous, but I think what other states charge non-residents is outrageous too. So if you don't find a hunt closer, I wouldn't think buying a license for a one time effort which might or might not be successful would be money well spent. You can hunt pigs with a 5 day $48 license but they're a helluva lot harder to kill on my place than a doe even tho we've got many more pigs than deer, and I almost never tell anyone that I can guarantee them a hog.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know civilians can hunt on some military installations. It looks like it costs a bit more for you but here is a link to Hood's MWR:
http://www.hoodmwr.com/sportsmenscenter.htm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info so far guy's and to Gatogordo I thank you for your generous offer I may take you up on it.I like shooting does they are tasty. I know I will have a couple of day's to kill and hunting is my favorite pasttime. I would be in interested just to go jack rabbit hunting if anyone has any info. Thanks again

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote