Tools

Where should I move to, which state?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt.Purvis:
Another problem with moving is that you will be a transplant and locals will never truly accept you.
Especially if you come from the West coast. There is a huge prejudice here towards people from California. I have heard it is worst in the mountain states. The television show Yellowstone did not help. It was not like that before Covid.

Yes this!

When I was a kid we moved from Socorro NM to Deer Lodge, MT. We got lots of weird looks and questions about being Mexican. A family of 4 white blond headed mostly English/Scottish/Irish/Norwegian/Germans. Never really felt accepted when I joined the Navy 3 years later, and then went home on leave.

Grew up in Wyoming before New Mexico in Riverton and Casper. Both are oil-field towns, and have a constant migration of oil-field workers. My dad's family was oil-field bit welder trash in the 1960's. My mom's side came over from Kansas City in the 1947 after the war, they worked in the oil field as well.

Wyoming had a bigger tolerance for non-Wyomingites than Montana ever did for non-Montanans. Still if you had an accent you were shunned. A lot of Wyoming guys in my grandfather's era worked all over the world and used Wyoming as a base in oil and gas. Kind of like the Midland folks. My grandfather did major construction and oilfield projects all over the world.

Non-oil towns like Cody and Sheridan are more clicky. As like Deer Lodge, they didn't classically have a lot of people moving through there. That is no longer the case. Most of the assholes that are part of the anti-welcome crowd are not even from Wyoming. I am a 2nd generation Wyoming native. Wyoming is a wild place, still has bad weather, lots of assholes (but so does everywhere else) and good public land and wildlife. I do not think it actually works for most people, it is too expensive and cold.

Wyoming is expensive. Because of the high paying oil and mining jobs, and the tax haven there are a lot of people with a lot of money. Wyoming has a mountain of billionaires, and there are thousands of millionares.

Know this going into it.

People get really dicky when they expect locals or transplants that think they are local to show them the ropes. It doesn't work that way. Everyone has a story of showing someone a place to hunt or fish and then having that asshole tell all their family about it.  

Wyoming has never really had cheap real estate anyplace desirable.

Most people do not manage the cold from Jan 1st to sometime in April or May when you are in snowstorm 30 and the wind has the windchill down in the -30 range. Because it is 4 degrees outside and the wind is blowing 40-50 mph.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im a born and raised Texas going back to the 1800s. still have ranching family in Texas. Moved to Idaho near Twin Falls 40 years ago and I love the state and the people..Still a born Texan and proud of that heritage but its changed big time and I won't be moving back I don't think.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote