Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Shot My First CZ
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

I'm still trying to decide if CZ's are a Cult or an addiction.

Pecos,

I think I hear a CZ in 9.3x62 down at the store calling your name.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dwhunter...good idea. of course, now that my daughter is six, she will be needing an arsenal. surely my wife wouldn't let our lovely daughter go thru life without the 30 or 40 guns she "needs" .....bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Awww, you guys are making me sick. Here I am a lefty and you're making me drool too. Guess only the grandkids will be able to have a CZ.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Quote:

dwhunter...good idea. of course, now that my daughter is six, she will be needing an arsenal. surely my wife wouldn't let our lovely daughter go thru life without the 30 or 40 guns she "needs" .....bud

I bought my daughter a CZ Scoout a few years ago. I slapped a Leupold M8 4x on it for her and that tiny rifle will shoot under an inch at 50 yards. She loves that gun.

I wont publically admit how many CZ's I own (on the off chance that my wife ever sees this thread and learns the truth) but I could definately add a few more. My 3 favorites being my 452 FS, 527 American in 223, and my Safari in 375. The 550's may not have everything exactly as I would prefer it to be done but they are extremely accurate and unbeatable pricing.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good to hear Pecos! Glad that pretty little rifle will shoot for you. They do feel nice in the hand. I'd definitely get the dies. Cheap imported ammo may be cheap, but I'll bet you can get better results with handloads, especially if you want to use heavier bullets than the 123 gr HP's that I usually see. I'd never reload for the SKS, but I think the CZ would really shine with premium ammo. maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone reload for their 7.62X39? I feel silly ordering dies, etc for a cartridge I can buy cheaper than I can make......but I just can't stand NOT to reload my own ammo. (At least for serious work)

Man all I can think of is how much I want another CZ, only this time I'm hungry for the 550FS.

If I suddenly disappear from the forums, you'll know I bought this gun and my wife beat me to death with it.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel for you Prof but all the lefties I know shoot RIGHT handed bolt actions. Just what you get used to I reckon.

one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
Pecos
Great to here thaty your in love and in a cult now! I have loved CZ's from the time I shot my first 550 FS in 9.3x62... "It was love at first feel " My Safari .375 is in the shop getting ready for our first date...I am looking forward to having her "rock my world"

Posts: 153 | Location: Hilo, Hawaii | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Does anyone reload for their 7.62X39? I feel silly ordering dies, etc for a cartridge I can buy cheaper than I can make......but I just can't stand NOT to reload my own ammo. (At least for serious work)

Man all I can think of is how much I want another CZ, only this time I'm hungry for the 550FS.

If I suddenly disappear from the forums, you'll know I bought this gun and my wife beat me to death with it.

I have not loaded for 7.62x39 but think it would be a worth wile.

touch the FS ...fell the FS... love the FS it is worth the little beatting

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... It has something that attaches to the trigger that makes it wider, it looks to fit over the trigger then has some set screws that hold it in place. ...

Hey Pecos, Looks like "cummins cowboy" got a Trigger Shoe with his. Maybe the folks at CZ could fix you up with one also.

I used to like a wide trigger myself. Had a MARINE Instructor show me a technique where he encouraged the use of just using the tip of the finger to touch the trigger. This tends to work best on triggers set on the light-weight side better than heavier triggers. He had some other reasons for doing this, but I'll not go to boring folks with that stuff. Anyway, I switched to what he suggested and now it makes no difference at all to me how wide a trigger is, because I'm not touching much of it at all.

Certainly obvious from your initial groups that your trigger technique is just fine.

Quote:

The stock is glossy...but not the cheesy gloss Remington uses which looks like a sprayed on urethane. The gloss on CZ's looks like just a fine handrubbed finish.

I agree about the glossy Remington finish being a bit much. Funny how that used to be such a big selling point.

Quote:

The only roughness on anything is the bolt rails and this should take care of itself with some use.

Completely agree. A little JB Compound on those rough spots might help slick them up a bit, but they all seem to have a bit of this unless they have been to a GunSmith for tuning.

---

A buddy and I latched onto some 110gr RNs a few years ago simply because they were at a very cheap close-out price. We had seen them, discussed them over lunch and went back to get them. Those little short bullets were nowhere near the Lands in his 30-06 or my 308Win, but they shot with amazing accuracy. Plenty accurate to kill G-Hogs at 200yds "when" you could spot them that far out.

Next thing I knew, he was also trying some of those 100gr Speer Plinkers. They weren't quite as accurate for him, but he really enjoyed plinking around with them.

Not saying the above because of the "recoil" you mentioned, just mentioning it because the accurracy surprised us.

Seems like it should make a fine plinker as well as a good hunter. About half the Stands we have would be perfect for it when Deer Hunting.

Best of luck with it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core - Thanks a bunch for your comments and passing on the research about this ammo. The good thing about being as dumb as me is I get to learn something NEW everyday and you taught me something I didn't know.

In fact, I really hadn't thought much about "mil-spec" primers at all and if I did I would most likely think about requirements for priming charge, burn rate, flame temp, stability, and in short EVERYTHING but the primer cup thickness or strength. (Which most likely enters into the equation with everything else.) It makes sense.

It's natural Speer would mention the CCI primers, as CCI is in the same "family of companies" with them.

Oddly enough Dillon Precision HATES CCI PRIMERS? My two tech support questions for Dillon over the years have been with primer issues. And on BOTH occasions their people told me CCI primers sucked big time and not to use them.

Personally, I've shot probably 75% CCI primers in my life and never had any trouble that I was aware of.

Of course I've never covered myself with glory shooting benchrest. Was this the fault of CCI Benchrest Primers?

In all honesty, I SERIOUSLY doubt it. I've always thought of myself as more of a "benefactor" of the target shooting arts.

Anytime I entered a benchrest match, they took my money and put me at the end table where I would be the LEAST noticible to the crowd and LEAST distracting to the real shooters.

And when the match was over, I always quietly loaded my guns and gear and stole away with my tail between my legs like the whupped dog I was.

I shouldn't tell such things on myself but no one would believe me if I told anything different. So I may as well come clean at the start.

Anyhow, thanks again for the kind words from all of you. I asked earlier if owning CZ was an addiction or a cult? I think I know the answer now.

Owning a CZ is joining a Band of Brothers...and I'm happy and proud to have finally joined.

Good shooting all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hauptjager - Since I was a wee lad in the wilds of New Mexico I've thought the full length Mannlicher stock was the sexiest thing ever carved from wood. But, alas, I've never owned one. I'd like to remedy that before I cross the river Styx. My devious mind will sort this out and find a way.

Stay tuned.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They used to make the 602 in 8X68 as I have one.
Mark

Posts: 277 | Location: melbourne, australia | Registered: 19 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hey Pecos, Looks like "cummins cowboy" got a Trigger Shoe with his. Maybe the folks at CZ could fix you up with one also.
Quote:

Hay I want a trigger shoe! I didn't get one with my safari mag... I love them... great feel!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The liberals don't trust us with trigger shoes, HJ.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... Everything functioned perfectly, although I did have one misfire with this Russian milsurp ammo I was using. I cocked the bolt again and it fired fine. I'll blame that one on the Russians....

Hey Pecos, I tripped onto something related to this in the Speer #13 on page 331. It mentions the SKS lacked a firing pin return spring. Therefore they would inadvertantly have occasional Slam Fires. And it mentioned using the mil-spec CCI No. 34 primer to prevent them.

Sooooo, your Russian ammo probably did have a bit tougher than normal primer in it to prevent those Slam Fires in the SKS and AK variants.

Hard to believe how much stuff like the CCI No. 34 for mil-spec ammo we forget when we aren't firing Military firearms.

Now I'd say your original assessment was right on the nose!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cummins - As Hot Core states, you've got a "trigger shoe" for your CZ. But I doubt it is a CZ part...although I'll verify that as I'd like one. (I think)

Oddly enough, I ASKED if they had any trigger shoes when I got my CZ and the gun dealer acted as if I said a dirty word.

"No!" he said flatly. "We don't sell them. And any time we get a gun in with one installed, we take it off and throw it away. Too much liability."

I was shocked.

But I'm sure he knows more about the bullshit "liability game" than I do.

Years ago half the guns in America had trigger shoes on them. Made by a company called Ace Trigger Shoes. I think I had one on almost every rifle I owned and always put them on my 1911 45s as well. Whatever a weapon's trigger pull was, the simple addition of a trigger shoe seemed to cut it in half and give a much more controllable feel...at least in my mind.

Now Ace Trigger Shoes doesn't even exist that I can find.

It's ESPECIALLY SAD for us old timers to see how bad our sport has been totally fucked over by liberal asswipes that know NOTHING about guns or hunting. And how SOME dickweed lawyers have made a feast from bullshit litigation against gun manufacturers etc.

I'm going to start a thread about "The Good Old Days" and hopefully get some of the fellows who've been around as long and longer than I have to tell their stories about what guns and hunting was like in America before the bullshit hit the fan. I think it will make you younger fellow cry when you read it. And I know it will make old farts like me cry to think about how it was.

But maybe it's a story that needs to be told. And some of you may be amazed by WHO some of the villans in this tale are. It's a story of greed that came back to bite some people in the ass...BIG TIME.

Sorry for the digression

Back to your shoe, Cummins.

As I think about a shoe on the CZ trigger...I can't imagine how LIGHT that must feel when the trigger is set!

My set trigger is so light it's almost untouchable. If I can find and put a shoe on this assembly, probably just THINKING the word "fire" will be enough to touch it off.

Be careful with it. Remember your trigger is completely adjustable to suit you.

Also Cummins, as you bought your CZ "used" you may not have received the owners manual with the gun. Be advised you can go to the CZ-USA.com website and PRINT THE MANUAL directly from their website. I did it just to read the thing before I ever bought my gun.

All that is required of your computer is that you have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed. And this "reader" is FREE with no strings attached directly from Adobe as a download. So this is no obstacle to having it if anyone lacks the program.

Let me know if you have any ?? or problems.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Pecos, I sure wouldn't have thought of the "Cup Thickness" either if I hadn't been reading about that cartridge.

When you have a chance, if you have an old Ruger Security Six(which would surprise me if you don't), compare the shape and width of it's trigger to your CZ. If it is close to the same, I might(no promises though) be able to locate a Trigger Shoe for you.

Of course, I'd need 15-80 pages of "Legal Documents" in double quad-duplicate and signed by your legal guardian that you would not sue me for "giving the Trigger Shoe to you", you will always tell "Vegans" they are in total conflict with us "Vegetable Rights Advocates"(NEVER KILL AN ASPARAGUS!) and that you will forever vote REPUBLICAN!!! I think that Trigger Shoe documentation requirement is pretty much standard across the states today anyhow.

And it would be your responsibility to file those documents appropriately!

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
hey pecos here is what you need next. As for me I am thinking I want a 527 carbine in 223.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=6006210

OR this

http://www.cz-usa.com/product.detail.php?id=13

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I just got my CZ varmit I bought it used but in as new condition. It has something that attaches to the trigger that makes it wider, it looks to fit over the trigger then has some set screws that hold it in place. It feels great in your finger. I know what you mean about that set trigger mine is set to prolly less than a pound. I seem to get 2 or 3 in the same hole with a flyer I think it is my fault I just need some practice with the gun.

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote