Find
Notify
Tools

Field butchering big game
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted
Does anyone have a good source on techniques for field butchering big game. I am going on a caribou hunt next fall and can take two animals but am only allowed to return with three 70 lb meat boxes on the float plane. I'd like to maximize the meat take without hacking it up. Thanks.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Clem

I've gone on over a dozen caribou hunts, most of them unguided. Take the hind quarters, the back straps, the front shoulders and the tender Loins. You will be fine with 3 boxes at 70 pounds each. If you have the time, clean all the quarters, this will get rid of a few extra pounds. If Legal, take out the bones, some areas don't permit that. that's to show how many caribou you have, by leaving the bone in.

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Two thing I can think of:

1. The weight limit for Alaska Airlines is 50#. You will get dinged for the extra 70#.

2. You can bone out all your meat. The only caveat is that you will be required to "leave evidence of sex naturally attached to the meat." I've always left he scrot and member attatch to the hind quarter.

MM

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like you're going to quebec - if its a guided or manned camp they'll usually have it all done for you, if not they will show you just what.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
It is in Quebec - through Exlo-Sylva. It will be unguided so we are mostly on our own. It will be my first caribou hunt so I am trying to get my ducks in a row far in advance. I've cut up god knows how many deer but in a camp on a butcher block is one thing.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
we use 5gal buckets. fill with food for the trip in. sit on in camp, and fill with boned meat for the return. plus they nest together.

Posts: 4 | Location: alaska | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Clem,

I've hunted with Expo-Sylva, 12 times to be exact! you will have a good hunt with them, which camp you going to be in? You will have no problem bring back all the meat, check with them on boning it out, I think it's law in Quebec that the bone remains in.

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Widowmaker416:
Clem,

I've hunted with Expo-Sylva, 12 times to be exact! you will have a good hunt with them, which camp you going to be in? You will have no problem bring back all the meat, check with them on boning it out, I think it's law in Quebec that the bone remains in.

Not sure what camp yet. I guess they will base us in a camp depending on the migration. A group from our gun club just went in September. They were in camp # 14 - 13 guys took 26 caribou - so hopefully that trend will continue for us.