Find
Notify
Tools

7x42 vs 8x42
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
I've been looking at the Leica Ultravid in 7x42 and 8x42. Can't go wrong with either, but wondering what everyone here thinks in the trade off between brightness and 1 more power of magnification. Is there a measurable difference between the two?

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I have no experience with the Leica, I can tell you I simply cannot tell the difference in 7 or 8 power in Swarovski binoculars.

My dad owns a set of SLC Swarovski binoculars in 8X30. I own a set of the same glasses in 7X30 power. I simply cannot tell the difference in the two binoculars!

I bought the 7 power glass because I got a hell of a deal on them through Cabela's at that time.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
In a roof prisim bin a 7x will have one or two LESS glass elements than an 8x. Granted, in a top bin like the Ultravid it's not a big deal, but less glass for light to go through is always better. Also, the 7x has a larger exit pupil which contributes to less eye strain while moving your eye around the image in the bin.

I think the 7x42 Ultravid offers a very slightly better image than the 8x42. The difference is very minor and, for my eyes, I think these are the two finest bin's made, period.