Find
Notify
Tools

What color light for blood trail?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted
I have seen a few flashlights that claim to make following a blood trail at night easier. It says that the spectrum of light makes blood stand out much better then just a normal flash light.

Has anyone used one of these? If so how did it work? Is it as simple as putting the correct filter (red, blue, etc..) on a surefire or is it more complex?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Surefire L4, the newer generation with the digital bulb and it sure makes the difference in blood trailing. When you compare it side by side with my old flashlights, you can see it is a true white light. This seems to reflect blood much better than the conventional bulbs.
Blue is supposed to be the real deal when blood trailing as well,but I never needed it once I got the L4. Great flashlight!

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For me, nothing works like the good old Coleman lantern (with a shield to keep direct light out of your eyes. Just really makes the blood shine for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Blue is supposed to be the real deal when blood trailing as well

I had heard that too, and tried it a few times. It didn't work at all for me.

The blood didn't show up, and the filter cut total light output, making it even harder.

May work for some, but for me it was worse than just any normal flashlight. Frowner

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I've tried several different lights and the best are the brightest white lights. The lights w/ the Xenon bulbs work great. Surefire, UK, Streamlight and others have lights w/ the Xenon bulbs that work great. I even bought some Xenon bulbs at Wal-Mart and put them into two big Mag lights.

The best is like Cold Bore says, a bright latern. There is a light on the market for blood trailing that runs very similar to a latern (mantel, fuel tank, etc.) but, it is shaped more like a big flashlight w/ a handle on top and the mantel on the side. Cant remember who puts it out but, it will sure make blood stand out.

I tried one of the LED lights that puts out a blueish type of beam. It was the worst thing I've used to date.

I prefer to take my 4AA UK light that has the Xenon bulb. It is small, fits in your pocket well, and it is very bright.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No reports from them yet but I know 4 or 5 bowhunters that have bought this:
http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php?xpage=itempage&xid=759

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am color blind. I have trouble seeing red. The coleman lantern works best for me and/or a spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
I've got an SureFire Outdoorsmen & bought one og the blue filters for Blood trailing. It did not work worth a damm, the plain white light works much better.
I do have a nice blue lense cover that I keep on the light while it's in my pack to protect the lens Smiler

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chain:
I am color blind. I have trouble seeing red. The coleman lantern works best for me and/or a spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide.

How do you use the peroxide?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im with you on the blue lights thumbdown
I have a browning black ice light it has white,red and blue led's plus a xenon bulb.
The Xenon works very well.

They do make some spray that will turn blood a bright blue/yellow collor but I have only used it once and did not realy need it.

You can't kill them setting on the couch.

Posts: 413 | Location: Roamin' the U.S. for Uncle Sam. | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Green works great and blood becomes a dark brown/black under the green light. Only problem is that anything else that is brownish/red does too (dirt). Pure white light for me.

Wes

Posts: 213 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I prefer a red lens... just wander off in any old direction.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found Blue light works ok in showing up arterial blood from lion. On venous blood ( lion or elephant) blue is not the way forward!

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Interesting that the Oxygen content of the blood being looked for makes a difference as far as whether the blue light works or not.

I believe the Gerber Carnivore is a mixture of blue and red LED's to, supposedly, make the optimum spectrum of light for blood trailing.

Would be interested to hear of anyone that has used one experience.

Seems like a bright light is still the best though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Colenam lantern works best for me. I do not like the surefire light for blood trails.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope you guys are only talking about following blood trails at night of deer! If not - I don't think how good the flashlight is would ever get me to follow at night for anything that eats meat or is capable of stomping me into the ground! Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Bore:
For me, nothing works like the good old Coleman lantern (with a shield to keep direct light out of your eyes. Just really makes the blood shine for me.

Yep. Coleman lantern.........yep.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the defference between EXNON and LXNON
blubs?

Thank You in advance

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerry

Actually, the ability to follow the blood spoor from a lion or leopard in the dark or failing light is a common requirement for African PH's. All too often (particularly with leopard) the animal is shot at last light. If it falls off the branch and runs- which they frequently do- you now have an unenviable job and a difficult choice. If you say- oh well, hit looked like a good hit, we'll come back in the morning and follow - and it was indeed a good hit, the hyaena's and jackals will leave your client a nice 6" wide rug to take home! (you get left the tail and a strip of skin about 6" wide along the spine when Hyaena's find a dead leopard or lion). If it is not badly hit, you face a quick face lift and tummy tuck if you are a might slow on the trigger.

My personal call is- If there is lots of arterial blood- wait 30 minutes and then I'll go and look for it. If it looks like a gut shot - or not even that bad- I'll come back in the morning.

The flick off filters are great idea- You follow the blood and when you think something moved or you are not sure you have some very bright blinding light to shine in Mr lion's eyes.

Streamlight sent a rep out this year and he left behind a pile of toys for the boys to try including a whole pile of different filters. When the reports from those of us lucky recipients are all back- I'm sure you will be able to read it on AR or the African Hunter mag.

posted Hide Post
Ganyana,

Do you ever use a single blood trailing dog to follow up a wounded cat or is a single dogs presence just too much of a liability?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bulldog, I put t he peroxide in a spray bottle and when I lose the trail I spray the peroxide around a bit, when it hits the blood it foams up, bright white. I always hope I don't have to use it though.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete- In all national parks areas, all dogs are banned. Even as a parks officer you have to have the directors express permission and junior ranks are not allowed to keep dogs...I generally hunt parks areas for lion.

For leopard- That is why I recomend a dogged hunt from the beginning on private land or communal( tribal lands). Have made one bad call- and presented the client with enough leopard hide for a belt in the morning!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana:

Thank you for an informative reply. I really should not have made a joking comment about a serious subject. In truth, I had not been thinking of following a a lion or leopard at night -and, of course, I do see the reasons why there is a close follow up after a shot near dark. Your post made me see that, I assure you! (I am particularly ashamed of being so joking because my one and only trip to Africa was in Zimbabwe (for Cape buffalo) and my outfitter and PH had a reputation with the Ministry for being good with hunting cats and I heard stories that made me shiver)

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote