THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    .221 Rem Fireball , Classic chambering for 2002!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.221 Rem Fireball , Classic chambering for 2002!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just read that the annual Rem 700 Classic chambering for 2002 will be the .221 Rem Fireball. I have always wanted to try one but in a smaller action like a Sako Vixen, . The 700 will surely be heavy, more action than needed, etc, but I still want one. For my little 1 pound gophers it should work just fine.
Anyone feel the same about the .221??

FN

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy the fireball. Too bad Remington doesn't scale down the 700 sa for it. ala the Sako Vixon!

On second thought... If they don't scale down the action but just put in a magazine block what is the point? $$$$$ Typical marketing gimik?

I was really hoping for this years Classic in 338-06

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 01-01-2002).]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
Awesome!! I've gotta get one!!! MM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Should be interesting.I've always enjoyed my T/C Contender in 221 Fireball.Hopefully it will spark some interest in the cartridge.Funny,they are making the Classic in a round they designed for handguns.What's next,a Classic in 44 Magnum?

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
it'd be nice in a little mod. 7

------------------
When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I wish something like this would catch on so we could get rid of the hornet.

In Landis's books he always mentions the report or noise that a cartridge makes. It can't be any better today. There has to be a demand for this. I don't think it's a .17 cal. rimfire either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
no, no, please say it isn't so.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Slamfire>
posted
I had a 722 rebarreled in .221 and think it is the cats meow. Nearly as quiet as the .22 Hornet, and the brass is a lot easier to work with. Mine prefers 50 grain Sierra's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don Martin,

I take that as a personal insult.The 22 Hornet and K-Hornet (along with the 218 Bee),are some of my favorite cartridges in the world and are very useful-they are quiet and make a mess of ground squirrels and knock over coyotes with ease.

I demand satisfaction.I challenge you to a duel!

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
I'm with Brian on this one.
The.22Hornet is the best thing since sliced bread.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 700 action is over-sized (and heavy) for even the .222/.223 family. While I'd genuinely love to have a .221 rifle, I wouldn't be interested unless it was on an action like the CZ, Cooper, Sako, Mini Mark X, or old Kimber 84.

By the by, why haven't the larger manufacturors ever produced a true small-action gun? Even Ruger's M77/22 is made overly-long for the Hornet, etc.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to get into this so late (I've been in Mexico guiding for the last 2.5 months).
I'd love to see the 338/06. Any one heard any rumors about 2003?

Thx

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I agree on that one! The .338-06 I built on a M70 last year has quick become one of my favorite "Montana" rifles. It works for about everything. I mostly wish Remington would bring out some AMMO for the .338-06! Weatherby has the 210 Partiton load but at $35 a box its nearly robbery.
FN

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
<re5513>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Nowakowski:
Just read that the annual Rem 700 Classic chambering for 2002 will be the .221 Rem Fireball. I have always wanted to try one but in a smaller action like a Sako Vixen, . The 700 will surely be heavy, more action than needed, etc, but I still want one. For my little 1 pound gophers it should work just fine.
Anyone feel the same about the .221??

FN

Count me in. I just returned from the SHOT show and spent some time in the Remington Booth. The rifle is built on the short action M700 with a magazine spacer that fits the cartridge. The barrel length is 24 inches with a nice crown. The stock has a satin finish, typical of the "Classic" series. Such a rifle is not overly pricey (Dealer price is proabably in the mid $400's) and would work well for the gopher application you describe.

The action and rifle is overkill for the cartridge but keep in mind that the .221 fireball is spec'd as having more pressure than a .223. Regardless, since it's in a m700 all M700 accessories apply (trigger, scope mounts, etc.) That makes up a bit for the oversize form factor.

In my opinion, aside from the size of the rifle, the .221 delivers on the dreams of performance seeking Hornet owners. Those who seek high velocity, low recoil, low noise, good case life, and exceptional accuracy. The .221 easily achieves all of these goals.

One last thing. Since it is a sporter rifle, it doesn't seem all that heavy. I picked up a Model 7 and held the .221 Classic, one in each hand. Both a friend and myself agreed that the Classic felt better than the Model 7 in .223. This may be personal preference (I really like varmint rifles). While the M700 Classic is not a lightweight rifle, in its .221 chambering, it's balance is certainly acceptable. The 24" barrel should also provide wonderful velocity numbers.

Regards,
re5513

[This message has been edited by re5513 (edited 02-21-2002).]