Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Best Bolt Action Rifle.....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted
My favorite deer rifle is a stainless M. 70 with a BOSS. It's the most accurate gun I've ever owned. For longer ranges I have a stainless M. 70 with a BOSS and custom stock in 7mm Mag. My varmint gun is a Rem. 700 with a carbon composite barrel. It shoots beautifully and is way more comfortable to carry than any varmint rifle with a bull barrel in steel.

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Mausers and Springfields suit me best.

Posts: 10166 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blaser R93 Luxus in 6.5 Swede........................JJ

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Captain Jack you've got a helluva rifle there with that SteyrMannlicher. I've got a Steyr ProHunter in .308 Winchester in my arsenal and I'm pretty impressed with anything Steyr has a hand in.

A close friend was shopping a couple of years ago for a deer rifle (his first gun of any kind) and I took him around and showed him just about everything. Funny thing was he want a Weatherby in 30.06? I told him if he was going to buy a Weatherby he might as well buy it in a Weatherby caliber. Then we looked at a 700 in BDL, an "A"bolt, a bunch of fancy new 700 Senderos and a M70. He was sold on 30.06. So I took him out and let him shoot my model "M". He ordered a ProHunter on .06 the next day, put a Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest on it and had Briley put a muzzle brake on it.
Took it to the range- sighted in with 9 shots. Has killed 4 deer with it and still hasn't shot the first box of ammo (the cheapest 150grn Coreloks ). He bought it as a tool and apparently isn't interested in poking holes in paper (he's a fiance banking lawyer) he married into a serious south Texas ranch out of GeorgeWest

I wish I had had my Steyr in Nam instead of the piece of s**t M-16 they issued me. I hated having to fight a war with a 55grn prairiedog/varmint cartridge when they got to shoot 125grn30cal at us- really SUCKED!!! I spent 7wks in the hospital getting out of the place!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Captain Jack you've got a helluva rifle there with that Steyr Mannlicher. I've got a Steyr Pro Hunter in .308 Winchester in my arsenal and I'm pretty impressed with anything Steyr has a hand in.

Posts: 83 | Location: Hampton Roads, VA | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
I like my SteyrMannlicher the best

one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite is the Ruger M77's... even the old ones cuz I love that tang safety. Though the M77/MkII's have some excellent improvements over the earlier model. Either way they're strong as hell and hold up under heavy use... Never had one let me down.

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Remington Model 700s.

Weatherby is begining to grow on me more and more.

Savage is Third on my list.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote