New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flying with Guns...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok, guys, I am flying out to WY on Fri. for my first Western big game hunt, and I am in a bit of a pickle. I was planning on shipping my rifle out so I didn't have to fly with it, but that's not going to happen. I called UPS and they told me I could take the rifle to a distribution center and they could ship it from there. I got to the distribution center, and they told me they couldn't accept a firearm over the counter from me. I didn't worry much, because I used to work at a gun shop, and we always shipped guns for people, so I called them, they said have an FFL in WY fax them his license, I did that, and when I got to the store, the new shipping and recieving person told me they no longer ship guns for customers because of liability purposes. To say I was peeved, would be an understatement. So, I leave on Fri., and it looks like I need to fly out with my rifle. I know I need a locked case to put the rifle in (I do have one of those) and the ammo needs to be stored separately from the gun, but do I need to fill out any paperwork before I get to the airport? I know I have to show up about 2 hours before my flight leaves, but is there anything else? I am flying United Airlines from Pittsburgh to Denver to Riverton, WY, if that makes a difference. I am going to try to get a hold of United to see what they have to say, but I'd like to hear from some folks that have been there and done it before, as well. Thanks in advance for anything you guys can help me with, I need whatever advice you can give me!

Justin Lancaster

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Justin,
If you're flying within the US you should have no problems.
Take the bolt handle out of the rifle before you enter your airport and present it to TSA.
Your ammo has to be on a checked baggage - can't be in a backpack or in your gun case.
Make sure there is no ammo in your gun case.

Everything else is really fairly easy.
Also you live in a hunter friendly state so that's a big plus.
I always get questions about where I'm going and what I'm going for - not b/c they are being nosy but b/c they wished they were going themselves!

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lde:
Justin,
If you're flying within the US you should have no problems.
Take the bolt handle out of the rifle before you enter your airport and present it to TSA.
Your ammo has to be on a checked baggage - can't be in a backpack or in your gun case.
Make sure there is no ammo in your gun case.

Everything else is really fairly easy.
Also you live in a hunter friendly state so that's a big plus.
I always get questions about where I'm going and what I'm going for - not b/c they are being nosy but b/c they wished they were going themselves!

Check with the airline as to their policies. I'm flying out tomorrow on southwest and they have no problem with ammo in your gun case and that is where mine will be. Flying internationally is different, they want a separate locked container, but I have always flown with my ammo in the locked gun case. It really isn't a big deal to fly with a rifle.

Copied from Southwests website

"Ammunition
Small arms ammunition for personal use (provided it is properly packed) is permissible in checked baggage only.
The ammunition may be placed in the same container as the firearm and must be securely packed in cardboard (fiber), wood, or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition."

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to the TSA rules

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/a.../editorial_1666.shtm

They also state that ammo in the gun case is fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Justin,

You'll have no problem as long as you have the rifle in a hard sided gun case and locked with key or combination lock. As you said put your ammo in factory or equivalent boxes in your checked luggage and you'll be fine. I just return flying United both ways from WY to NM and didn't even need to open the gun case.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Justin,

You'll have no problem as long as you have the rifle in a hard sided gun case and locked with key or combination lock. As you said put your ammo in factory or equivalent boxes in your checked luggage and you'll be fine. I just return flying United both ways from WY to NM
and didn't even need to open the gun case.

Not even to slip the declaration inside? Just flew UA from SD yesterday. Very easy, just had to open case to slip the signed declaration and away it went into the bowels of the airport. Just FYI pheasant numbers are down significantly this year but it was still very good. We were done before lunch everyday.

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys, I just talked to United and they said the same thing you are all saying to me. I appreciate the quick feedback, and I just hope my gun gets there with me! Thanks again, you folks made me feel better!

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple more things I have learned while flying with guns.

1) Expect the ticket agent to be clueless as to what the rules and laws are, print the airlines and tsa policy and bring it with you.
2) Expect the TSAs to not know the rules, in Boston they insisted I leave the key to the case with them and they gave it back to me at the gate even the the rules say *I* am the only one who can have the key
3) Sometimes they throw your guns on the belt with everybody else, sometimes they pull them to the side with the other firearms and bows (common in hunting season) and sometimes they bring them to the lost luggage room and never put them on the conveyer.
4) Most TSAs are really cool about it.
5) If any customers hear you tell the ticket agent you are flying with firearms their eyes turn into saucers and they are shocked. They also probably think you are a Marshall, Fed or some type of LEO officer to be able to fly with guns.

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
A couple more things I have learned while flying with guns.

1) Expect the ticket agent to be clueless as to what the rules and laws are, print the airlines and tsa policy and bring it with you.
2) Expect the TSAs to not know the rules, in Boston they insisted I leave the key to the case with them and they gave it back to me at the gate even the the rules say *I* am the only one who can have the key
3) Sometimes they throw your guns on the belt with everybody else, sometimes they pull them to the side with the other firearms and bows (common in hunting season) and sometimes they bring them to the lost luggage room and never put them on the conveyer.
4) Most TSAs are really cool about it.
5) If any customers hear you tell the ticket agent you are flying with firearms their eyes turn into saucers and they are shocked. They also probably think you are a Marshall, Fed or some type of LEO officer to be able to fly with guns.

Great advice.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Next time you want to ship your rifle use Fedex. They've never given me any problems.

UPS seems to have gotten increasingly worse about shipping firearms. Part of that probably has to do with both the damage rate of insured firearms and pilferage by employees, both of which seem to be a problem for UPS. Another problem with UPS: I live in the country and UPS simply dropped a $1,300 rifle in the ditch by my gate!

USPS: The clerks at the local post office vary hugely in their knowledge of postal regulations. However, if you happen to know a local clerk and alert them ahead of time to look up the regs on shipping a long arm, then they will understand that there is basically no restriction other than to have the FFL of the address where you are shipping it.

Once, fearing that a branch post office might give me problems shipping a gun, I went to the trouble to go to the central post office, thinking I'd find more sophisticated personnel there. WRONG. I had to go through four increasing levels of supervisors before finding one who had the gumption to go get the manual and read in plain English that there was no problem or restriction on my shipping a long arm (only an FFL holder may ship a handgun).

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a quick update guys, got to WY with my guns. Was a fairly uneventful travel until my connecting flight from Denver to Riverton started losing oil pressure and we had to land in Cheyenne! Two of the other passengers and I had enough so we rented a car and drove to Riverton. One of the guys was going home on a business trip and the other was also going hunting, his rifle didn't make it on our plane. Frowner by the time we reached Riverton though Great Lakes Aviation shipped his gun to Riverton, so everyone should sleep well tonight. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
from tsa: "Ammunition may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows packing guidelines described above.
"

that means a secure fibre, plastic, or metal container.

i've transported many a box of shells in my rifle case with no issues.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
from tsa: "Ammunition may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows packing guidelines described above.
"

that means a secure fibre, plastic, or metal container.

i've transported many a box of shells in my rifle case with no issues.

Yup! +1

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote