THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Hill Country Opening Weekend with my Daughter

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hill Country Opening Weekend with my Daughter
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of David W
posted
I thought I would share photos of my daughter Ava's deer.

We went out to our place in west Kerr County in the Hill Country of Texas for opening weekend. The forecast was for rain most of the weekend, but the rut was on in full force and we were hopeful that the deer would be moving if we got a break in the weather. We were up early Saturday to head to our blind on a ridge that gave good views of an area where I had seen some good bucks over the preceding week. However, the rain was coming down hard, which is a blessing for us, as we've been really dry for years. So we took our time and waited for a break.

A late morning scout around the ranch confirmed the deer were moving, but we only saw a few young bucks, as well as some aoudad and turkeys. We finally got a break in the weather around 2:00 in the afternoon, when we spotted her buck working a doe along a cross fence next to a cedar brake. We were able to put a sneak on him as he headed away and I put up the sticks at about 100 yards. I bleated at him and when he stopped and turned, Ava put a nice shot on him with her .25-06.

I have to say that I'm not quite as mad at them as I used to be, and it is so much more satisfying now to hunt with my kids. Great opening weekend.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done dad.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Way to go young lady.

Congratulations!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Buck! Well done.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ava done GOOD

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's great, you've taught her well on where to hit 'em too.
Thanks for sharing.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done young Lady. That smile is priceless and made me smile.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
David,
That's a super hill country buck! Pass my congratulations on to Ava. This has been an interesting deer season... wet, warm and humid in south Texas for the most part. Typical El Nino year.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Real nice! tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Great!

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

tu2 +1

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Better than average hill country buck, congratulations! Hunting with my kids and grandkids is my world, waiting for great grand kid to hunt with now, the rest have grown up...

Will be hunting on a friends ranch between Lometa and Goldwaite after Christmas this year a friend and his grandsons..I look forward to that and we have one absolute monster Texas Whitetail on the place, but he has illuded us for several years running, he is totally nocturnal, I'm going to walk him up this year, maybe! and that's a big maybe! Much of my family ranch in the Goldwaite area. Love that country and hunted it all my life.

Tell your daughter that's good shooting, perfect shot placement.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. Russell, I'll pass your words on to Ava. It has been wet for sure, but we need it! I look forward to seeing you in Dallas!

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great job, Dad!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yay. Nice hunt and a stalk too. Very nice.

I am the same way with the younger guys over the past years in bird and duck hunting. I want them to get them more than me. But sometimes I have to get in there too.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is an extremely nice buck for the Hill country, congratulations to you and your daughter.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Way to go Ava!!!

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote