New
Find
Notify
Tools

plug for just a great knife
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I don’t do product endoresments, but this is a knife I won’t want to see go out of production.
The Buck Silver Creek “Bait” knife – I picked mine up in a Cabelas while in Colorado 6 years ago. Even though it is supposed to be a fishing knife, it is a fine hunting kinfe. It weights very little and yet is strong enough for me to open a red stags’ sternum (like a bull elk) you can actually use the saw on the back, I have gone through bone and wood, granted, I don’t use it much because I just don’t work that way.
I’ve skinned out and caped everything from crocodiles to chamois with mine and it is still a great knife. The finish on the blade, presumable for the saltwater fishing protects it well and it has truly stood up to the test of time and work.
Only thing that is not good is the grey plastic holster, which is worthless for hunting. I put mine into a cordurda holster which fits it, because it is a very “stardand” size and never looked back.
I want to get myself another in case the one I have gets lost.

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great knife!

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bucks I've had have all been great blades.

Don't understand why anyone still splits the briskets on game when it's such a PITA and dangerous doing it with a blade.

Old elk killer taught me to skin down along side the ribs, find the joints and cut thru them, it's easy. Just toss the whole brisket out to the coyotes and be done with it. So little meat on one to eat anyway. Barely a pound IF you bone it clean, just not worth the effort it takes.

That opens the chest cavity to much easier access and more air flow.

Try it sometime, bet you'll like it better.

For a hunting saw. I had a scabbard made of leather to fit a drywall saw. Those things are hell for sawing most anything. Pelvic bones or small wood even. Wreck one or lose it, they only cost a couple bucks each. Even the fancy rubber handled one's are barely $5. They don't weigh over and ounce either.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5956 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Bucks I've had have all been great blades.

Don't understand why anyone still splits the briskets on game when it's such a PITA and dangerous doing it with a blade.

Old elk killer taught me to skin down along side the ribs, find the joints and cut thru them, it's easy. Just toss the whole brisket out to the coyotes and be done with it. So little meat on one to eat anyway. Barely a pound IF you bone it clean, just not worth the effort it takes.

That opens the chest cavity to much easier access and more air flow.

Try it sometime, bet you'll like it better.

For a hunting saw. I had a scabbard made of leather to fit a drywall saw. Those things are hell for sawing most anything. Pelvic bones or small wood even. Wreck one or lose it, they only cost a couple bucks each. Even the fancy rubber handled one's are barely $5. They don't weigh over and ounce either.

George

Plus 2 on the drywall saw.Been using one for 40 years.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
How thick is the spine of the blade? Is it stiff or flexible?

Thanks,

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12580 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a slightly flexible blade, definately not solid.
It just dawned on me that it is lighter than sone might prefer. I am pretty handy with a knife and know how to butcher properly, it is possible that you could snap that blade if you brutalised it.

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1234 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That knife is made in China.....and it rusts while you look at it per the reviews. Get the short, flexible bubba blade instead. My fishing buds and I all have several and love them.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote