THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Slug gun for midwestern deer - 12 or 20 ga.?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slug gun for midwestern deer - 12 or 20 ga.?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm going in on a midwestern deer lease next Fall and need to get a slug gun. I'm leaning toward the Savage bolt actions but am torn between the 12 and 20 ga. models.

I've read that the 20 is in general more accurate, but my concern is knockdown power at longer ranges. Where I'll be hunting, a 175 yd. shot is a real possibility. Shot placement is everything, but even with that, can a 20 ga. get the job done at that range? Given how much they slow down past 100 yds., I'm concerned about a lack of kinetic energy.

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

Posts: 111 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 27 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
see the attached article
American Rifleman | Twenty-Gauge Super Slugs
https://www.americanrifleman.o...ty-gauge-super-slugs

Sighted 2 inches high at 100 yards, it strikes 9 inches low at 200 yards and still has 1,000 ft.-lbs. of energy. That kind of performance was unheard of from a 20-gauge slug just a few short years …

I do hunter sight ins and a 20 gauge slug, especially is using one of the saboted slugs, and a rifled barrel will pretty much shoot like a rifle, and that big piece of lead, is going hit like a base ball. I have seen 2" groups at a 100 yds with the sabot ones, and almost that good with the Foster type. IF using the Foster type need to get a 5 pack of each brand and shoot them for groups at 50 yds, as different shotguns like different ones. I have sighted mine in testing 3 different American brands and the one gave a 4" group, the next a 2" group and the l3rd had one hole. So a slug plenty accurate. But buy enough (if using sabot ones, they are expensive), and do some practicing. The load will do the job, but YOU have to be able to hit what you're shooting at.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check this video

01:51
SLUGS @ 200 YARDS (Remington 870)
283K views8 years ago
YouTubeGUN-TIME with Brandon

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Tysue - The link you posted isn't working.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubert
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage 220, It will put 5 shots under 2" at 100 yds., with 275 grain Barnes expanders. Last buck I shot went 30 feet. That was at 118 yards. The barnes are .45 cal. sabots.

Posts: 52 | Location: Catskill Mtns. New York | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used both 12 and 20, I got rid of my Benelli sbe barrel 12g it was way to heavy and clumsy and kicked to the high heaven. I use a Browning BPS 20g rifled barrel cantilever deer special and have taken several deer out to 90 yards,I don't see any difference in killing power they generally are stopped on the spot or go at the most 50 yards. My only gripe with the BPS is I like iron sights at least a front sight if for some reason the scope becomes unusable wherein I can quickly put a NEGC peep on.

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
A FRIEND OF MINE JUST BOUGHT THIS 20 GAUGE SXS DR FOR DEER and hogs in cover.

Beauty, eh?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
We use 20 gauge slugs to 200 yards. Hornady sabots and recently Remington sabots.

Last year we has a buck that was gutshot and the Hornady monoflex did not expand so the deer took another shot to stop. Second shot was a heart shot and I want to go back with a metal detector to see what that slug expanded to.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
RMiller,
20 gauge slugs = approximately 62 caliber?

Those make for large entry and exit holes to drain blood and internal fluids.
Very effective at reasonable ranges.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
The slugs I have used are 45 or 50 caliber.

The one on the left is a nicely expanded Hornady monoflex that started out at 45 caliber.

The one on the right is a Federal slug that started at 50 caliber.

Both slugs left the deer dead within a few feet of the hit.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
This is the Monoflex that did not expand.

The deer.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
This was my buck Nov 2018 20 Gauge Remington accutip

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I plan on trying this 12 gauge barrel this year.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Hope this helps.

That nef handi rifle 20 gauge has been used by my family for around 30 deer. All sabots of one kind or another.

We have taken 4 deer with a 12 gauge also but only with rifled slugs or buckshot.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info and the pics. Nice deer. So I think the consensus is, 20 ga. is plenty powerful, even at 200 yds., to take down a mature deer as long as the shooter does his part. I will likely go with a Savage 220 bolt action.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
You will not be disappointed with the 220. I had one and shot a couple deer with it in Michigan and Ohio. Longest shot was only about 75 yards. Never recovered a slug as the went right through.

Very accurate; 3-shot groups well under 2" at 100 yards were the norm.

I would not hesitate to shoot the biggest deer that ever walked at 150 yards with it. 200 yards would depend on conditions, optics, and ability for shot placement.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
RMiller,
Speaking of big balls, on a recent Victoria, Texas deer hunt,a friend's young teenager swapped his crossbow for an old black powder 20 gauge SxS double shooting round balls for his afternoon hunt.
One double lung shot with the bore diameter ball destroyed the rib cages and dropped the deer in its tracks. The kid smiled all the way home that evening.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
RMiller,
20 gauge slugs = approximately 62 caliber?

Those make for large entry and exit holes to drain blood and internal fluids.
Very effective at reasonable ranges.

The sabot slugs are much smaller than the bore size.
In 20 Ga they usually range from 40-50 caliber.
Many times they are actually pistol bullets

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I’ve had both 12 and 20 and found no real world difference.

Everyone I know who hunts Midwest shotgun states has switched to inline muzzleloaders as they are legal for most any firearm season. They all claim an increase in accuracy and range over a slug gun. I can’t argue with their reasoning or success.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I was looking at using a muzzle loader in the weapon restriction area that I hunt but they removed muzzle loaders. It is only archery or shotgun now.

Even when muzzle loader were allowed, they did not allow sabots in muzzle loaders.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only shot one whitetail with a slug. I used a 12 ga.

Since most areas where shotguns are required are densely populated, or, like some parts of Kentucky, are populated with expensive livestock, I would go with a 12 ga, just for the extra knockdown power, and limit my shots to less than 75 yds. Making longer range shots in densely populated areas is a recipe for disaster IMO.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Move to SE Philly area (I live about as war west as you can and still be considered in the Philadelphia area) and rifles are not allowed in the counties surrounding the city. I converted my father's 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge into a slug gun. Added a Hasting barrel. The shotgun weights a ton, but it has shot 1 inch groups (at 100 yards) from a bench. It previously kicks like a mule and I rather shoot my .300 Wby Mag over it. Two years ago my neighbor told be to try the Hornady Lite Slugs. It's a world of difference. Taken a doe the last two seasons and they don't know the they were shot with a "Light" 12 gauge load. Previously used Winchester Partitions and everything was one shot kills (2 buck and 1 doe)except for a poorly hit doe. Hit the doe low in the leg and never did recover her.

My wife uses a Remington 1100 20 gauge with Federal Barnes expanders. The shotgun is extremely light and doesn't really have the greatest accuracy at 100 yards. She never had to fire at anything over 50. She's taken 5 deer with it (all one shot kills).

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no use for shotguns and big game..unless its required by law..much prefer a good rifle, even a 25-35 or 30-30..or for that matter a 222 Rem.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where I hunt in Maryland is shotgun only. We kill 35-45 deer a year where we hunt and hands down the 20ga is accurate and gets the job done. Big bodied deer as well, does live weight up to 170pds and bucks up to 275 live.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Savage 220 is hard to beat. I have killed many deer with it. Longest shot was 180 yards, nice 8 pointer, dropped in his tracks. Killed several other deer from really close out o 150 yards also with it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the opinions.

I tried my buddy's 220 this past weekend and I think I'm sold on it. Got good groups at 100 yds. with Federal Trophy Copper 3" sabots. The 220 is likely what I'll go with.