New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: New Mexico Pronghorn Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Had a great trip. Drove from MO to Yeso, NM in one day. It took 12 hours. Would have had better time except for the danged toll booths in OK.

The hunt was great. Arrived in time for dinner Thursday. Friday we scouted for Antelope, verified zero, and hunted coyote. Saw two coyote without getting a shot off. Both my father and myself shot nice goats on Saturday. We opted to drive back Sunday and used Monday to process them ourselves. My 4 year old had a great time helping too. Tuesday was spent in final recovery mode ... washing cloths and cleaning gear, running errands for the wife, etc.

We stayed in a bunk house at the El Yeso Ranch. The food and hospitality were great. The guides were great with a good sence of humor too and boy they could spot game.

I hope to get pictures posted tomorrow. Following short stalks, my father got a stationary quartering away shot at 200 yards, and my buck was also stationary quartering to me at about 170 yards. Single shots from the sitting possition with Harrid bi-pods ended the chase. I used my 7mm-08 Mauser 98 with compact Leupold 3-9X33 and 139 SST Hornady Light Mag ammo chronoed at 2990 fps.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How did you do on the Antelope hunt and were you satisfied with the hunt. Al and I both shot nice goats and enjoyed the hunt.

Hawkeye47