Find
Notify
Tools

Practical shooting in the fields
 Login/Join

<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I had a debate with a friend of mine regarding practical shooting in the fields.

What is your favorite support in the fields: Hasty sling, tight sling, bipod, moses sticks or natural rest from the terrain.

Which is your favorite shooting position for most hunting.

"Don't be shy"

/ JOHAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johan, it kind or depends what I'm hunting and where. If it's not too serious, I usually just shoot standing with a sling. If it's more serious shot or game I'll go kneeling and sitting with natural rest if I can get a good one. I can't remember ever shooting for game from a prone position, although I probably have.

Prone is fine, but the problem is when you lay down there is something suddenly between you and the target...like a bush or rock.

My philosophy is what the army hammered into me.
"Take the best position you have time to get into." Kneeling is very fast and pretty stable.
[Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot depends on where you are hunting in the north woods most of the time a tree or off hand. Out west sitting, prone with bi pod, and anything inbetween what ever works for the shot. One of my nicest shots was prone with a nice log for a rest. Take what you can get and go for it.

Posts: 19612 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
most frequently a tight sling, or a tree

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the bush, it is almost always a tree...or branch.
When mulie hunting, it is often just the prone position.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will take any rest that I can get. Fencepost, tree, rock, whatever. I took a southern boy with me up north hunting and he had a hell of a time figuring out why I was always sprinting to the nearest tree or fencepost when I saw a deer way out there. Lets just say that the buck is on my wall and he only managed to kick it up a gear or two. He converted.

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was much younger,I always shot my deer from the "Offhand",and did well enough to keep at it for 20 years. Now,every game shot is from sitting,or kneeling(not too often),or what ever rest is available(most often).
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
The military trained you well Pecos, the best thing there is in the time allowed to use it. Sometimes even a big rock suffices but I agree with Johnny Ringo that its usually a tree or a knee.. Since I always know how to find my knee quickly and its always handy it gets a high priority in my game plan. I am starting to like my Rokon seat a lot for that purpose too though.
Now is this the part where Ray is gonna tell us all what whimps we are and that we need to learn to shoot upright without shaking like a bunch of old women in the cold..? [Big Grin]

Posts: 10169 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote