Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Cougarhunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted
How can you call walking up under a treed cat or bear and shooting it hunting? I saw one of these spectacles on TV and was sickened by the lack of stealth, cunning and hunting abilities of the said parties. To me its just ammo for the anti-gun / anti-hunters of the world to hunt with this method. This is not meant as a flame but if you really want to hunt a mountain lion then get in the mountains and see if you can bag one without hounds.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
What are the odds of hounds vs. no hounds hunting for cougars?

I'd like to cougar hunt but I've personally never heard of doing it without dogs.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
You obviously have not hunted behind hounds! If you knew anything about them you would know they hunt by scent and not by sight. They do not generally even see the lion until it has treed. This is not easy on a snowy, cold track at all. I would recommend you try something before being negative about it.

Tell me, have you gone to the mountains to bag one alone? I know it can be done but I would like to hear about your hunt.

Posts: 19240 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
If you want to hunt in the US I have a couple of experienced outfits that do very well with hounds.

Drop me a line with when you think you want to do your hunt and I will send you more detail.

aspenhill@triton.net

Posts: 19240 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Perforator!!!!

I can say that you've never hunted with hounds! I've hunted bears and cats with them and I'll tell you it's one exciting time! That's if you can keep up with them! Your only thinking about the reware at the end, the cat! Let me tell you too, things get pretty intense as you approach the treed cat!

Perforator! I think it's time you try it before talking about how bad it is!

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Lidman, check your PM's please. Have some info for you. I think you will really enjoy that hunt should you be able to make it. Get in "sheep shape" for doing it(good physical condition).

Ann, Doc and Widowmaker,
ya gotta remember that Perforator is the same guy(gal?)that saw the Black Panther in Louisiana and had the headline news story of the deer in Louisiana being poached on treble hooks (search this forum for both). This guy/gal is like a serial killer in that he/she drops out of sight for a while after getting singed on his/her bs but has to reappear and strike again.

Percolator, this type of Cougar hunting ain't at all like sitting in a tree stand in the Louisiana swamps waiting on the little beagles to chase a doe by you.

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of yuccabush
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc,

You can have success hunting felis concolor without useing hounds. You can call them in with distress animal sounds. You have to be on your game though because they are very stelthy and they just appear. With the use of an ecaller you can find lion vocalizations to download and use.

Starting in 2005 we will be able to use ecallers on the big cats here in NM.

I agree with the above statments about using dogs to tree it is no easy task. The show may have been edited to look easy for time reasons.
yucca

Posts: 7 | Location: Albuquerque,NM | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, I hope I didn't imply that it was or looked 'easy'.

I was just commenting on how I've never seen it done any other way.

So, FWIW, I can go on a cougar hunt too. So, please send advice on any outfitter, prices, etc. I can pay or work out a trade plus $$ for an Ohio deer hunt next year on some leased land.

PM me or whatever. I have no problem with the hounds. However, be advised, I do have a bum knee. Makes me slow but I do not have an endurance problem.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Actually, the few hound/cougar hunts I've seen on the outdoor channel looked pretty tiresome. Trying to keep up with those dogs for hours over those snowy hills/mountains. That would wear me out. I have no problem shooting a cougar in a tree with that kind of effort.

I guess the same would hold true for using dogs to hunt upland birds too huh? Is that 'unethical' to watch a dog work pheasants or chukars? Should bird hunters stop using dogs for that? Just asking.

one of us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Yea, me too.