New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fewer hunting and fishing!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hunters and fisherman still bank rolling conservation and refuges. Demand for big game tags remains the same, that explains with fewer hunters it is still hard to draw a damn tag! Roll Eyes

Not Gone Fishing
A five-year survey of outdoor recreation finds a sharp drop in the number of Americans who cast a rod and reel—and a lesser decline in hunting. But that doesn’t mean we’re spending less time with animals in nature.

Fewer Americans Are Hunting and Fishing
Oops. The Movie's Leaked Online
Should Parents Be Liable For Boozing Teens?
Poll: Americans Want Death-Penalty Moratorium
Clift: Will 2008 Be the Liberals' Year?

June 16, 2007 - If you’re a squirrel or a trout, we’ve got some good news for you: Americans are hunting and fishing less. Every five years, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service puts together a massive survey of outdoor recreation, and the 2006 preliminary numbers were released today. They show ominous trends, depending on your worldview—or species. The number of anglers has dropped 12 percent since 2001; the hunter count has fallen off by 4 percent during the same five-year period. This doesn’t mean Americans aren’t spending time outdoors or interacting with wild animals; “wildlife watching†is up 8 percent since 2001. They’re just choosing not to kill them so much.

Though the final report won’t be available until November of this year, the preliminary findings reveal a downward pattern that worries many sportsmen: over the last 15 years or so, millions fewer people have been hunting and fishing in a country with a rapidly expanding population. There are countless reasons for the trend, chief among them urbanization and changes in America’s rural culture. Video games and cable television vie for the attention of young kids, and their parents can’t find the time or gain access as readily to the nation’s rapidly disappearing hunting fields and fishing holes.

Mark Damian Duda of the outdoor research group Responsive Management in Harrisonburg, Va., says he was especially surprised by the sharp drop in fishing, but understands it: “We just have less time overall for recreation, and there’s a lot more competition for the time we do have.†Another problem: traditions are not being passed down. Duda says 90 percent of the kids who hunt grow up in a hunting family, and starting from scratch is difficult. Duda is optimistic about the long haul, because states are noticing the trends and working hard to stop the slide. Another reason he’s hopeful: “The old image of the hunter and fisher as Teddy Roosevelt burns deep in the American psyche.â€

That may prove true down the road, but the 2006 survey shows that the number of migratory bird hunters dropped a whopping 22 percent in just five years; while small-game stalkers fell by 12 percent. The number of big-game hunters has remained relatively stable over the last half decade, falling only 2 percent.Still, 12.5 million people over the age of 16 went hunting in 2006, down from about 13 million in 2001, and they dropped $23 billion on the stuff it takes to get out in the field (roughly the same amount of money spent on hunting five years ago).

Fishing participation fell three times the rate of hunting over five years—down a jaw-dropping 23 percent in the Great Lakes region. Freshwater fishing outside the Great Lakes was off 10 percent; saltwater fishing fell by 15 percent.

In 2006, 13 percent of the U.S. population still took the rod and reel out for a cast. Nearly 30 million people—five million less than 2001-went fishing, spending an average of 17 days angling during the year. They dropped about $40 billion on licenses, equipment and trips to support the activity.

Nicholas Throckmorton, a spokesperson for the Fish and Wildlife Service, admits that the hunting and fishing trends are “disturbing.†But he argues that the data is secondary to the report’s real news, that “the value of wildlife remains high to millions of Americans, who know that outdoor recreation rejuvenates our spirit and gets us away from the wired, modern world.â€
Sportsmen can take heart in the fact that despite the declining numbers, nearly 34 million people still found time to fish and hunt in 2006, and spent a combined $75.4 billion doing it. That’s important, because federal taxes on guns and sporting equipment are spent on conservation efforts and wildlife refuges; without those places, many of the 71 million “watchers†identified in the survey would be left staring at a starling on a bird feeder.
The real lesson of the report is that as a nation we’re gradually finding new, less violent ways to interact with nature. If this keeps up it won’t be long before Elmer Fudd goes after Bugs Bunny with a pair of binoculars.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Unit5A
posted Hide Post
It's actually up here where I live, but I have read that many states are down. Too bad it isn't here, ha ha....(just kidding..sort of). We had another record year for applications again.
I think the indoor computer/games thing and other similar things may have some to do with it, but I think a lot has to do with just plain old opportunity. There is no apparent lack of interest in youth when given the chance, just that Dad/Mom/whomever aren't getting them out there to try for one reason or another. Maybe since it is the norm now for both parents to work, and when off too much other stuff to take care of? My kids will drop a computer game in a heart beat to go hunting. "Da wife" too.... Wink
I know this state, and many others have already, or are trying to have special "youth hunts" guaranteeing a certain amount of tags for kids with thier own seasons etc. As the population goes up, game doesn't usually making it harder for kids to get a tag, and thus "the bug" while younger, for big game anyway. I 'dunno'......

"Hunt smart, know your target and beyond"

Posts: 394 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Maybe the wolves have begun to eat the hunters, too? Wink

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IV, it is all a UN conspiracy, can't you see? Smiler

I think a big part of it for me is access, followed by cost. It is becoming a rich man's "activity" rather than an every-man's passion.

I think technology fits in there in several places too.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe the wolves have begun to eat the hunters, too?

Roll Eyes That was little red ridding hood! Geeez! I try to be serious one time and you bring back the wolves! WE all know the hunters are being abducted by aliens! Roll Eyes

Don't you guys just think it is a change in the times and the young people's desire to do other things than hunt and fish? Even here in rural Wy. the schools have ended the annual hunting day in the fall, which was a tradition for years, because the school house was empty on opening day. My nieghbor is a teacher and he says on opening day hardly a student is missing in the fall any more. TO many other activities,sports, skate boards, bikes, and more of a sendentary life style for some. Maybe lots of reasons, but there are fewer younger hunters out here. Even with the 12 year old age limit that has only been a law for 10 years or so,it didn't make a big effect. I actually helped get that law passed. I thought it might get more young people involved and help the G&F with more license sales. It did the first few years. I think Brent is right to about the cost and the fact hunting is becoming a rich man's sport. And now with fuel costs it will deter some. The day of running to the hardware store and buying a $11 tag and going out the next day and going deer hunting and not spending and arm and a leg for a tank of gas are over.

One thing, it won't stop me! Big Grin

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that access is becoming a big problem. Twenty years ago I had access to hundreds of acres here in IL. Today, except for occasional exceptions, it is less than 50 (timber). The reason...outfitters and hunting leases. In one case, a less than 20 acre tract of timber being leased for over $1000/yr.
While I certainly understand the financial incentive to lease, I am concerned that the long term result will be a decrease in new hunters, or it will become a sport only for the wealthy.
Additionally, while I live on a farm, I do have a problem with being able to collect a gov program payment and still lease the land for hunting. It is almost like being paid twice to privately use a public resource. In either case, in the past, if you had hay or pasture land in the set aside program, you were not allowed to harvest it. What's the diff?

FWIW

MFH

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
I think Brent is right

I am going to frame that!!!

Stunned speachless...

Well almost.

BTW, these stories about the decline of the blood sports have been circulating for many years. Decades even. I don't doubt them, but it is not news.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brent:

I think a big part of it for me is access, followed by cost. It is becoming a rich man's "activity" rather than an every-man's passion.

Brent

Oh come on. Outfitters are here to solve all the access problems. And the really good ones offer doe hunts for kids at a discounted price.

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fewer Americans Are Hunting

That explains why my chances of drawing a Special Tag decrease each year. Confused

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That explains why my chances of drawing a Special Tag decrease each year

The article stated that big game tag demand has stayed level for years. That is why it is still hard to draw that coveted tag.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am going to frame that!!!

Stunned speachless...

Well almost.

Yeah, hell froze over! Your entitled to be right once! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
It makes sense that fewer are hunting and fishing these days. I think there are several factors involved that are gradually moving people away from the outdoors.

• Overtime, society has become more liberal and has shifted ever so slightly away from gun ownership.
  • Society has become more urbanized.
  • The traditional two parent household has evolved to a household where both parents work.
  • Single parent households have almost eclipsed two parent households and this single parent works a lot.
  • Technology offers children a chance to entertain themselves to the point where they no longer desire to "go outside."
  • As society has become more wealthy, many of the properties formally available for outdoors recreation have been bought up or have leased thereby decreasing the number areas available for hunting and fishing.

So...as society seems to have become more liberal in its attitude toward firearms, many people aren't taking an interest in them which has in turn decreased their interest in hunting. Further, since mom and dad are both forced to work now days to be able to afford two SUV's and that 3500 sq.ft house in the suburbs, parents don't have as much time to take their kids into the woods and teach them the time honored traditions of hunting and fishing. As such, children now stay indoors and play video games and sit on the computer more often than not. To quantify this, look at the ever growing number of obese children in this country. Staying indoors = lack of recreation = inactivity = obesity. Or to spin the family situation another way, single parent households are sadly becoming the norm and many single parents simply don't have time to support a family and take time off for recreating. Lastly, and this point has already been brought up, a whole bunch of the lands available for hunting or fishing are all leased out to outdoors clubs. Between limited available membership and the high cost of membership, many hunters can't afford to join these clubs which severely limits their opportunity to enjoy the outdoors.

Or such are thoughts on the matter. I may be completely off base, but the above conclusions are based on my observations over the last fourteen years.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
What's interesting about this is what's been left out of this article.

Harvests on many species have never been higher.

Over 6 million white-tailed deer taken every year in the U.S. Which is more than the population of white-tails was in 1900.

About 55,000 black bears are taken each year, as well as several hundred thousand elk and pronghorn antelope.

More equipment available now than ever before.

And hunting provides more jobs than ever before.