THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    An Interesting Trophy Hunt In The Aleutian Islands

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An Interesting Trophy Hunt In The Aleutian Islands
 Login/Join

<The Hunting Report>
posted
One of the more interesting frontiers in world hunting right now is that chain of islands that juts outward from Alaska into the northern Pacific, separating that body of water from the storm-tossed Bering Sea. We have already told you about outfitter Wayne Long's Aleutian Adventure Reindeer Hunt (209-293-7550) on Umnak Island near Dutch Harbor. The first hunts on that island will take place this fall, and, as this is written, there are still some openings.

What we haven't told you about is the world-class caribou hunt guide/outfitter Tim Booch is gearing up to provide on the island of Adak this fall, which is even farther out on the Aleutian chain that Umnak. Adak, in fact, is roughly 1,300 miles from Anchorage. That's about as far as it is from Anchorage to Seattle, Washington.

What makes this hunt worthy of attention is the quality of the caribou available. There is a very good possibility of taking a bull here that qualifies for the Boone & Crockett Record Book and an outside chance at taking a new World Record. You can reach Booch at 907-487-4984. For more details on what he has to offer, see E-Mail Extra; or next month's issue of The Hunting Report.

------------------
The Hunting Report
"Serving The Hunter Who Travels"
www.HuntingReport.com
ARForum@HuntingReport.com

one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Well, I lived on Adak for two years (1988-1990) while I was in the Navy, and that place is a hell of a long way out to hunt caribou. These caribou are freaks of nature because they don't have any predators. And last word I got about the Adak caribou herd, Boone & Crockett will not recognize a Adak caribou. These animals were trans-planted there many years ago for the military folks if all hell broke loose (couldn't get shipments of food stuffs) during war time conditions. One other thing think about, this area (far west Aleutians) was one of the last areas for nuclear testing. Not widely known, but its true. Air travel is even more of a problem now that Reeve's Aleutian Airways is belly up. Maybe ERA or Penn-Air flies out there, but it's too far for me in there little aircraft. Reeve's use to fly an Electra L-88 and that was the smallest aircraft I would trust my life over the that much open water. Now here the biggest issue. Hunting this place is a mother _ _ _ _ _ _ ! I've done it. You have to be in top condition. These caribou graze faster up a mountain then a person can run. Don't get me wrong, if your wild oats say you have do this hunt, do it. But this place rains and blows like no other place on the planet next to Antartica. A opinion from a person who has the coffee cup, hat, pin, shot glass, and the memories of Adak.

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CK
I am sure that you are right about the Adak caribou not being recinized by Boone & Crockett.

Posts: 358 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CK, do you also have the Adak Drift?

------------------
AlleninAlaska

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
It sounds like one of those hunts that will either be a real drag that you wished you never signed up for, or else a great experience that you're glad you ran with - no in between!

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Adak is all that, but there are some real whoppers there.

Posts: 323 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Allen Glore,

I don't have the drift, but I sure have the Adak stare.

You really had to keep your mind busy to make it in Adak. I know a lot of people flipped out because they couldn't get off the rock and the weather was pure hell most of the time, topped off with the darkness of winter. People complain about the weather in Juneau, I say, do a couple years in Adak, and then we can talk,
otherwise shut up or move.
Almost for got one thing about Adak. Earthquakes; At least twice a month that you can feel. From what I understand Adak has a earthquake a day in one form or another.

I think I'd like to spend the money for a buffalo hunt at Narrow Cape in Kodiak before heading out to Adak again. My home (Kodiak) keeps calling me back. Oh well, enough beating up on Adak, but it sure is easy to do.

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CK, gotcha on the weather in Juneau, lived in Sitka 12 years before moving to Bethel in 1986. Got tired of the rain. But Sitka to me is a more remote location than I am at right now. At least here I can get about in the winter time by aircraft or snowmachine. Summer time I have 700 miles of river that I can run in my boat. Heck, I could even go to Anchorage in the winter by snowmachine if I had the time to make such a trip. Couldn't do that in Sitka.

------------------
AlleninAlaska

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote