New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wich Leupold scope for my 338?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking at the VX II, because it's in my price range.
The rifle is a T/C Encore 24" Heavy Taper barrel.
I am looking at the 2-7x33 and 3-9x40. Not a lot of difference, I know. I have only seen the 2-7x33 in Matte, and my barrel is a Gloss finish, so from a looks point of view I may just go with the 3-9x40. I have never owed a 2-7, any reason it might be the functional choice on my .338??

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can buy the V-1, which is the old VX-II, in both 2x7 and 3x9. The V-1 is only in gloss finish and they're less expensive. They still have the Leupold lifetime warranty.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
The VI is basically the old VII. If you get a VII make sure that it is NOT an old VII, if it is then you will be missing out on what is essentially Leupolds version of Bushnells Rain guard coating when you could have had it for the same $. Of corse Leupold cant tell you this but put 2 and 2 together and thats what youll find.

Some folks talk about the 2-7 like it is worlds apart from the 3-9 but I agree that 2-3 isnt much difference. The basic usefull working range is still there with either one. Opinions will vary but that is mine. Follow your heart..

By the way, excellent signature Mark! [Wink]

[ 03-07-2003, 21:33: Message edited by: Wstrnhuntr ]

Posts: 10166 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark
I have both 2-7 and 3-9 VII, In my opinion there is'nt that much diffrence between them. I really cant see any reason the 2-7 would be a better functional choice than the 3-9.
Jamie

Posts: 109 | Location: Washington | Registered: 18 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I am partial to the VXIII series. I have (4) rifles w/ 2.5x8. A good balance btwn. enough mag. & light weight.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
THe 2x7x33 is 2.5 oz's lighter and an inch shorter than the 3x9x40... I don't like unecessarily big, heavy scopes... all my 338's have had either 1.5x5's or 2x7's on top... course I like 22" bbl's on my 338 WM's too so I'm obviously bucking the current trend of overly long rifles with hulking scopes on top.

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Either is a good choice.

The 2-7 is a bit more compact and gives you a bit wider field of view in the low range. Buy it if most of your hunting is close/quick, or if you want a more compact scope.

The 3-9 is a bit heavier, although it is lighter and more compact than most, if not all, of its full-sized competitors. It has the advantage of a tad more magification, which can be helpful for long-range shooting. But let's face it, there's nothing you'd shoot with a .338 that can't be seen clearly with a 7x at any range.

With the VX-I series, you're buying about 95% of the performance of the best scopes on the market at a fraction of their price. The slightly pricier VX-II has multi-coating, click adjustments, and is available in different finishes, but unless you just HAVE to have one of these features, the extra $70 might as well stay in your pocket.

Good luck!

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the VX-II 3x9x40 on my 338 and I think it's a perfect combination.

Posts: 1005 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the 1.5x5 or 1x4 Leupold on my 338..I used a 2x7x33 Leupold for years and it served me well...I like the smaller obj's. over the 40....

A stright 4X has a lot to offer and dependability is one of its major assets...something I cherish above all else in scopes, guns, men, dogs and horses....

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2-7x33 with out a doubt !! they are a great scope with heaps of eye releif and recoil proof. I feel the 2-7 would be ideal on a .338.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually try a Vari XIII in a 2.5 X 8. It will give you the best of both worlds and will last you a livetime. It is worth saving the extra money for the scope.

Good Hunting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I chose the 1.5-5 with heavy crosshairs because my 338WM won't be used on small game, the eye relief is long, and the heavy crosshairs show up well in poor light.

Posts: 31 | Location: North Dakota, US | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replys guys. I orderd the Leupold VX 2 2-7x33 on Friday. I have been hearing a lot of good things.
Thanks again.

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote