New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5X284 thoughts on elk-sized game
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just wondered if anyone out there is using this caliber on elk-sized game and if so, how has it performed for you?
I know the cartridge is known for it's accuracy and such, just wondering how it worked on larger than white-tail sized game.

And please, no suggestions to buy something else, I'm just wondering how this particular caliber works on game.

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace - Luke 11:21
Suppose you were an idiot... And suppose you were a member of
Congress...But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Well, the Swedes use the 6.5x55 on moose all of the time so a 140 grain bullet at 3000 fps should work.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I'm sure it will work, but it wouldn't be my first choice...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I trust a 260 Rem for Elk, so's I am sure an extra 100 to 200 fps would work just fine...

A 140 grain 6.5 mm bullet will do anything a 150 grain 270 caliber bullet or a 7mm 160 grain bullet will do any day of the week....

And a test of bullets and calibers in Sweden, when they were trying to rule out use of the 6.5 x 55, found out that a long 6.5 bullet actually out penetrated a 375 bullet from a 375 H & H.....

Load it up and go hunting...

it is shot placement any way....but most magnum guys will have you believe that it is strictly foot pounds that kill.....

goodluck and cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think that seafire would be correct in saying that those 3 combinations will each kill an elk.
However, if I want to hammer an elk I use my 284 with 160 Partitions, to kill an elk I would use my 270 with 150 Partitions or Solid Bases, and I would not hesitate to shoot an elk with my 6.5x284 loaded with 140 Partitions or 130 TSX if that is what I had in hand.

Posts: 18 | Location: W. MI | Registered: 05 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted Elk since 1968. I used a 7MM Remington Mag until 1989. My shots were form 50 feet to 70 yards in Western Washington. One Elk managed to get back up and go 50 feet. Wouldn't you know it was the five point I shot at 50 feet through the heart. After that I switched to a Weatherby 300 and Rem 8MM Mag for Elk. I don't think it kills them any deader. But on angling shots that I may not have taken before it puts them down now. That's what I think is the basic differance. On Elk I believe bigger is better.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote