New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Iowa for whitetails
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was reading the rules for hunting deer in Iowa and I have a question about the Blaze orange requirement I understand you need a lest a vest, but is a hat required also? Also is a quickpoint scope legal. I hope to draw as I already have a invite,and as most of you know the prep is part of the fun.

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The vest is sufficient and the scope is okay. If you can mount it on your gun, it's legal.

The hat is not required but if you like the head you have, you might bless it with blaze and keep it rather than loose it to some gunslinger (I'm presuming that you are planning to hunt the shotgun seasons).

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt Iowa regularly. I believe that you only need the vest, not the hat. My gun hunting is with muzzleloader in late season and that requirement is that you wear orange to and from the stand but you do not have to wear it in the stand. As far as I know your red-dot scope would be leagal so long as it does not project a laser to the target. You can check out all the regs at Iowadnr.com

Posts: 114 | Location: valley Forge, PA | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
forgot to add this. If thinking of this year you better apply now. Applications are being accepted until June 6th and the drawing is sometime around the 20th. More applications than tags so you may not get drawn without the preference point.

Posts: 114 | Location: valley Forge, PA | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tped,
I believe you are incorrect about requiring not orange on the stand. It is required at all times.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guy's. I already have my appilication in. Brent I'll heed the advice about the hat. But it shouldn't be to bad as I'm going with a friend that's from Iowa and we are going to hunt on a private farm. Thanks again Bruce

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blaze orange is required at all times, even in the stands. Hats are not required, all I use is my blaze orange vest. Any scopes or red dots can be used so you can put on anything you want except for a laser pointer one.

Posts: 149 | Location: western Iowa | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the more blaze the better. If you are hunting with friends on private land, you may still have party hunters around you. I hunt a small farm that belongs to a friend of mine, and I have had people walk right through my field of fire. They were on the other side of the neighbors fence so they figured it was OK, morons.

DGK

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote