Find
Notify
Tools

Non resident hunting observations
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
I just did a trip from Salt Lake to Reno Nv. and back and was stunned by the amount of vehicles pulling ATV trailers and sporting racks in the back with California liscence plates. They came in droves, for miles! During the first 200 miles from reno they outnumbered the Nevada vehicles 10-1!!

I cant wrong anyone for having a desire to hunt, but this display made it quite apparent to me that obtaining a non-resident huinting liscence cant be all that difficult.

It also occured to me that if any state is being unfair in reguards to non resident hunting privledges that it is California. They should be made to import as many hunters as they export.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing none of the bars, party stores, resturants, and motels in Utah are complaining much.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Back in the days I used to drive commercially, we had a run across Montana into ND. To stay awake, we'd count MN vehicles with antlers visible, somewhere. The right time of the year, there'd be a couple of hundred of them. Cars, trucks, trailers, SUV's, they'd be sticking up from the strangest places... LOL! Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhuntr
You might have a good idea there. Calif. could offer a special season, with low license fee, on Liberals. No closed season and No bag limit.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It also occured to me that if any state is being unfair in reguards to non resident hunting privledges that it is California.

In what way ? You can hunt in CA as a nonresident and the tag fees for non residents are less expensive than non resident licenses in the other Western states. And you can hunt earlier in many zones and there's plenty of USFS and BLM land you have access to.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Wstrnhuntr
You might have a good idea there. Calif. could offer a special season, with low license fee, on Liberals. No closed season and No bag limit.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a Republican in CA, I am ok with that, let's include Minn, New Yorkers, South Dakotans, etc, and clean house.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It appears that the vast majority of these out of State guys are NOT hunting at all. Hell out here in Montana most of them just drive the backroads looking for their game. I couldn't imagine spending the money for an non resident tag and then spending your "hunt" in a pickup truck.
FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I was recently sentenced to living in Kalifornia, after living my entire life in Utah. Wstrnhuntr, thank your lucky stars that you live in a state with so much hunting oportunity. I visited my home stomping ground last week for some Deer and Duck hunting. It felt so good to see the Bucks being so proudly displayed in the backs of vehicles. Duck hunting, where I now live, is all but nonexistant. I never realized what I left until last week.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I lived awhile in Logan, had a good time there although the hunting is not what it once was. I hope to sample the duck hunting at Lake Perris this year, otherwise burn up I-15 on the way to greener pastures when I get a week off.

Posts: 14441 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote