New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Application Service
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone use a draw application service like Cabelas T.A.G.S. or Huntinfool? I am interested in getting set up as I have myself and both of my kids to put in for and we have several trips we are going to want to take over the next 8 or 9 years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Larry Altimus at Hunter Application Service. You can do it yourself but I have screwed up before and missed dates which have cost me points. The whole application game is a crap shoot but like they say you can't draw if your not in. I have not considered myself very lucky in the draws. The only tag I ever drew was a Oryx tag for White Sands. That is until this year when I drew a Desert sheep tag in New Mexico! What I like about Larry is we adjust my application based on quality vs quantity(better odds vs trophy quality). I highly recommend him.

Sheep hunting, the most fun you can have while being completely miserable!

Posts: 55 | Location: Sussex county N.J. | Registered: 25 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using Huntin' Fool for several years. Fill out the form, call them up and they will work out the details for each state. You can let them pick your areas based on quality vs quantity, or give them your area numbers. They put the tag fees on your credit card, or you send in a check to the state. They also charge their fee to your card.

Hunters Application Service is more money per state, but, you use their money for the rest of the fees. If and when you draw, you reimburse them for the tag fee. Nice way to go, but a little more per state.

Other than the way that you pay, they are both very similar.

These two seemed to be the most reputable at the time. I think that they still are.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Jim 1367, I too use Larry Altimus. He and his wife Stephanie run a great service that I have been very satisfied with in the past. They both are great people as well. Good luck.

Best of Hunting,
Mark Hampton

Posts: 144 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Cabelas TAGS for the first time this year and had a good experience. I still do Montana sheep on my own cause there's only 1 unit I'd like to be drawn in. It's nice because Cabelas float the tag fees for you. If you don't know much about certain units in different states it is also quite valuable/time saving. I'll be using them again next year.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Huntin fool is excellent. Also they have all sorts of promos/etc. if you want to sign up drop me a pm and by using my referral code we both get free stuff

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry Altimus - Hunter Application Service

The best of them all IMO.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunt'n Fool member and I do my own apps. Why pay someone to fill out a form?

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of utcb
posted Hide Post
Ditto CA Safari Hunter - I use Huntin' Fool and put in my own applications. I put in for sheep in most states, so I will write over $10,000 in checks to apply, but you get most of it back if you don't draw. If cash flow is an issue, then the services can help - but that way is definitely more expensive.

Posts: 34 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There is an app for iphone and android that is only $2 that will remind you to apply so that you do not miss the application periods and it looks up your points in 13 states.
It is called PointHunter and written by a company called GotMyTag

Watch how it works on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwWaV0trHrw
Download now at
https://www.gotmytag.com/download/BReload

Posts: 24 | Location: Utah | Registered: 07 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto for LARRY Altimus. He knows the states and the areas.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote