Find
Notify
Tools

Man kills cougar with knife
 Login/Join

posted
Have a look at this:
WWW.canada.com/vancouver/vancouversun

The map is slightly wrong. Port alice is a bit north west of the spot indicated.

Check the commnents from readers at the bottom of the article.

Sadly it doesn't say whether Parker prefers Leupold or Swarovski.

Posts: 18 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

UNBELIEVABLE,if you see in the article the cat fight for 3 minutes after being cut in the throat.The man is 61 I believe, that is one tough SOB.This is why in big game country I think a sidearm is dam smart to carry. I hear these so called animal rights people say well do this and there will be no problem or 99% of the time it will not attack.It does not matter, if that 1% it does and you are alone your ass is in for some big trouble, I will always carry a side arm, 500 Linebaugh,with me if in that kind of country. If it comes down to you or the animal I must say I will do what I must do to live, great story, Thanks,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very interisting but it is not the first time some one has kill a couqar with a knife. I would much rather use a firearm. But when it hits the fan you use what you have.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Port Alice BC, ring a bell....
I had a close ecounter ( more or less [Smile] ) in Port Alice my self, many yars ago.
Working as a seaman , we was loading pulp at the mill, and having the afternoon off, I went for a walk along a gravelroad up along the river.
Beautifull scenery by the way !!

Turning some bends I suddenly saw a big garbidge dump about 150 yards in front of me, an there was somthing moving around in the middle of it.
It turned out to be a blackbear and a cub, busy scrambling around for something to eat.

The wind was blowing against me, and they was not aware of me, and this then young Norwegian seaman put his gear in reverse and slowly backed off around the bend.
Then I turned into high gear and made the way as short as possible back to the town, admittedly glansing over my back now and than ! [Big Grin]

Anyway... this fella undoubtly put up a heck of a fight against this cat.
Was he using a Buck, a Shrade or some imported copies from Asia ?? [Wink]

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Around my neck of the woods cougar sitings are not all that rare. I live in an area known as the boonies- I dont know any different and rountinely walk into areas that are unihabitated, ect.

Anyways, recently a law was passed banning all mt. lion hunting, and sitings have more then tripled. There was recently a show on 48 hrs or something on this subject. A man saw his 70lb + husky killed right infront of him on his own porch. My parents used to do a lot of trail riding on horses up into the moutains and always told me of when they say bobcats, even an occasional mt. lion.

The bottom line is with people moving further and further into THEIR teritory, occourances of such attacks are only going into increase, and as is the case with my state, all hunting as been banned on them, the younger ones have NO fear of people and their property, because there has been nothing to give them ANY fear... We can do a lot, but not a lot has been done, because of the il informed and stupid politcians...

Last winter a friend and I went hiking up a really popular trail, but the way no one goes, and came across several dens. There was still snow on the ground and we could see many large tracks only from the cougar. We both had pocket knives and I can assure you we both had them open ready to use. Being fairly young and stupid theres nothing like walking into a cave with fresh tracks around it! This hill he were on has a trail on one side and nothing on the other. Its about a 500 ft. high hill, not too much, but enough to be large enough for a lot of ground around it. Anyways, I feel a cougar could easily ambush a woman or child on that trail and they would be dead before anyone could do anything about it.

Buell

Posts: 935 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 June 2001Reply With Quote
<mod 12>
posted
I'm heading to Port Alice the 12th to do some trout fishing, camping and canoeing. We drive 2.5 hours into the bush (lots of bears) and drive past the pulp mill of which Arlid speaks. That garbage dump is gone and everyone is very careful about what they do with their refuse. Bears and cats come into town on a regular basis and my buddy Sandy39and holding, who lives up the hill from the boat landing, has trapped bears in his yard. Mr. Parker, the man who was mauled, was Sandy's forman at the mill and is a tough character. he walks regularly and plays golf. I've seen the golf course and you need to be half mt. goat to play that links. Anyway, since I can't take a gun for my own personal protection, I'll have several cans of bear spray, my Randall #1 on my hip, and the GB sharpened and ready to go. I'll give an after action report. One of these years I'm going up to hunt for a big black but need to find a good guide on the Island.

[ 08-07-2002, 08:46: Message edited by: mod 12 ]

<Desert Rat>
posted
Sarcasm on.

Doesn't this guy know that when he is in lion country, he is not supposed to walk around like prey? Too bad about the lion. It could have been a great game animal. After all, when you are in lion country, you have to accept that they are at the top of the food chain. If he just would have taken some simple precaustions like wearing a lion proof suit while out walking, and eating no meat for six months, he never would have had a problem. It obviously is all his own fault.

Notice how badly he was wounded? This shows that a knive is no good for self defense!

Sarcasm off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as I'm concerned this guy is officially THE MAN!

This reminds me of an incident about ten years ago around Strawberry Reservoir near Salt Lake. This old guy was camping in the back of his truck with his Granddaughter when he was awakened by her screaming in the middle of the night. A Black bear had grabbed her sleeping bag and was dragging her away. Well the old man would have none of this so he grabbed the D-cell Mag light and proceeded to beat the bear off his granddaughter with a flashlight! Hope I'm that tough when I'm pushin' 70!

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know I'll be smarter than that when Iam 70 I well have a gun to go along with the mag lite. Oh to bad about the bear. If them dam bears wouldn't try and eat people they wouldn't end up like that.HA HA.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<257 AI>
posted
What you guys are forgetting is that this took place in Kanada, sidearms are a no no. [Roll Eyes]

<Desert Rat>
posted
The bear attack took place in Utah.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The cats are nasty, but reall small potatoes (not that I'd want to face one w/ a knife, mind you). In the fall of '95 when I was still in B.C. we had some poor fella just out of Prince George who was hunting along, stepped over a log and had a 350 # sow Griz rise up in front of him and knocking him back over the log which was just behind his knees and losing his rifle when he fell. Now this fella got chewed up a bit, but w/ his body on one side of the log and legs on the other, probably saved his life. He ups w/ his knife and goes to slashing. I can't remember how many stitches (it were a bunch, I want to say 2-300) but he killed that sow.

That year we had 10 grizzly attacks (reported) in B.C. w/ 8 leading to maulings and two deaths (couple of elk hunter down in the Kooteneys). But this old guy must have big ones made of brass!

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote